In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Older Remington 700 question

braonanbraonan Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have an older Remington 700 30-06, it has a 20" barrel. It appears to be all original hardware, according to a gunsmith who inspected it for me. The left side of the barrel is stamped 5 A L 32, it has a 5 digit serial number starting with 982XX. Can anyone tell me anything about this gun? Based on what research I have done, it looks like it was manufactured in 1964? Is it considered rare or uncommon? I see similar age Remington 700s around $500 with replacement stocks, trigger jobs and of different calibers.

Comments

• Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the early 60's When the Model 700 was introduced...the STANDARD barrels were 20" for the non-mag calibers...You have one of the early ones before they were changed to 22" barrels.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The model 700 was introduced by Remington in 1962, the same time they introduced the 7mm Remington Mag. Use the letter code on the barrel to find month and year. BDLs with the floor plate bring a higher value than the ADL with a blind magazine.
    W.D.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At one time Remington made a 700 carbine that had a 20" barrel. The one I have is a 30-06 also.
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the Model 700was introduced ALL the standard calibers came with 20" barrels. 22" barrels were not available! The magnum calibers...essentially the 7mm Mag came with 24" stainless barrels. One might refer to the original 700's as a carbine...However these "20 inchers" were at the time the "standard" length. They were NOT considered "carbine versions". Afterwards...when the standard version became 22"...the 20" was not offered as an option.