In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blown SA top straps

jonlowerjonlower Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
The moderator suggested I post this here for discussion, and it is a worth while subject.

There have been many opinions over the years about why SA top straps will let go, taking the top of the cylinder, frame strap, and, sometimes, part of a finger with them, not to mention hearing. These opinions have ranged from too light a powder charge, too much air space in the case, to a bore obstruction. Each of these could possibly cause a strap failure, but as I have repaired dozens of blown straps over a 20 year period, I have found that all of them had one common denominator.

If you have had a strap blow up, let us know so we can discuss the history of the gun and what may have been done to it before the failure. Even if you know of someone that it happened to, let us know. This is a study in shooter safety.

JP

Comments

• Options
    GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad was a NRA certified firearms instructor. Once, he brought home a "totaled" model 60 s&w stainless 38 special that was given to him as a teaching implement by a student. The top strap and upper cylinder were blown off/missing/shrapnelized. The student over pressurized the barrel and cylinder by loading and firing a 357 magnum round. End of gun. I know that its not single action army colt, but I hope this helps your study. Best
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt New Frontier in .38 Long Colt, someone thought because a .38 Special fit, it would work. It didn't. An old blacksmith in Malad City, Idaho did the repair sometime back in the 30's?

SlateCreek2034.jpg

Jon, that was the story I got, and you know how a story can change in 80yrs. The gun is 1300 miles away in my uncles safe, I'll get the serial number, and see if he has anymore details on the strap and repair.
  • Options
    jonlowerjonlower Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    Colt New Frontier in .38 Long Colt, someone thought because a .38 Special fit, it would work. It didn't. An old blacksmith in Malad City, Idaho did the repair sometime back in the 30's?

SlateCreek2034.jpg
    Actually, a standard 38 special would function OK in a post 98 Colt, which is what this looks like. If the serial number is above 178,000, someone may have slipped a 357 in it to case a blow up.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I've owned this blown up Colt Single Action for so long (35+ years) that I cannot remember the whole story behind it. It was given to me by a friend and it was given to him by someone he knew and so on and so on! I believe the story was that someone either shot an overcharged hand load in it or a factory smokeless load in a black powder gun; just not sure anymore!

It is a mixed number, badly refinished gun, heavily buffed Colt. The frame is from 1891 and the triggerguard and backstrap (same numbers) are from 1884. You can't make out the chambering that is stamped on the left front triggerguard bow, other than "CF". The cylinder is chambered for 44-40, so I suspect the triggerguard was possibly marked "44CF".

It is my opinion that the remaining parts that you see, I also have the hammer, trigger, and bolt; were on the gun when it blew up. The cylinder isn't blown out, so I suspect the top strap might have blown due to the pressure in the forcing cone!

I sure wish I had lettered both serial numbers when it was a lot cheaper!!!!!

If you have any questions about it; I'll try my best to answer them.

PB Picture removed.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!