In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Factory Fajen Mauser in 284 Win.

MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
In the early 70's Fajen imported Santa Barbara Mauser actions...They put Starr barrels on them and Timney triggers. They were all outfitted with Fajen stocks. These rifles were called the "Fajen Acra" They were made available in several calibers...one being the 284 Winchester. To my knowledge...other than Browning chambering their Safari High Power Bolt action (only about 160 made)...these Fajen rifles are the only other "FACTORY" bolt action made for the 284! As it turns out... I own one of these...It has a tapered 24" barrel in very nice condition...it shoots very well! What might something like this be worth??? THANKS!!!

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning A-bolts and Ruger 77's were both made in .284. I have an A-bolt in that chambering. Also, I'm pretty sure Winchester made some 70's in .284.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with it, at all. Rifles assembled by Herters, Fajen and other little/lesser know importers/distributors, aren't normally big buck collector items though.

Given the difficulty and expense in obtaining factory .284 ammo you would have to hit on a shooter/enthusiast who would be interested in shooting and reloading for the .284 specifically.

Most casual once a years hunters nowadays wouldn't know the .284 from a pimple on their butt, and would drop it like a hot potato when they found out how much a box of ammo would cost.
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose....yes...you are correct, the A bolt and 77 were chambered for the 284. I do not believe Winchester ever chambered their Model 70 for it??
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Michibay
    Ambrose....yes...you are correct, the A bolt and 77 were chambered for the 284. I do not believe Winchester ever chambered their Model 70 for it??

Do you think Winchester chambered it in their model 88 lever gun, andd 100 semi-auto, and didn't chamber it in the model 70? I am not sure about the Pre-64's, but am posative about the Post-63's. It might have been a custom shop option, but it came from the factory. lets not forget about Ultra Light Arms, and Cooper Arms either. Yes, they are semi-custom, but are production rifles, and they are available in 284 Winchester. Another fine example was the A-Bolt Micro-Medallion.

Best
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They chambered it not only in the post-'64 but also in the post-'94 (the era of the new/old action.) So you could get it in push feed and controlled round feed. It isn't by any means common to find one in a Model 70. It isn't really common to find one in the model 88 or 100 either for that matter. But, they were made stock in the model 70 and not just in the custom shop.