In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Zip gun

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited July 2011 in Ask the Experts
usfa new 22lr semi that uses 10-22 clips....got a new on a week ago and and quite disppointed...really neat engineering...clever design mkes one wonder where they will go with it...BUT..started with aquila and worked down the fps curve till i finally got some plain lead 22s to fire five in a row without jamming...empty brassends up locked over ingoing brass at a right angle...need small needle nose pliers to get stuff out...and coking the thing by pushing aginst the chrging rods on the front is awkward...old fingers with arthritis are no good for this one...only in for $250 so i guess it will be filed away or sold

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    My buddy was telling about his zip gun he built in HS metal shop years ago...

He fooled his teacher for a while. Then his Dad found out and made him throw it down a sewer in NYC.

In todays schools this would be a big no no.

Just wondering how many of todays experts may have started like my old friend Herb loving guns with a humble beginning.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I built one from a glider launching gun and a piece if copper tubing pressed into a piece of steel tubing.
    I was caught with it by the NYPD in the swamp back of the bandstand in Prospect Park in 1945.
    About that time, I blew the latch off a Thames top break revolver with 38 Super ammo.
    Don't know how I survived my youth.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I grew up shooting Colt Woodsman. And a Walther pp. And I don't know how any of us survived our childhoods.
  • Options
    Manoa-FishermanManoa-Fisherman Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    I built one from a glider launching gun and a piece if copper tubing pressed into a piece of steel tubing.
    I was caught with it by the NYPD in the swamp back of the bandstand in Prospect Park in 1945.
    About that time, I blew the latch off a Thames top break revolver with 38 Super ammo.
    Don't know how I survived my youth.

You must have been born under a luck star!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A zip gun is a improvised weapon...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improvised_firearm

Common form of 50's was a .22 from a car antenae
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The closest we came to zip guns was to take a shot length of electrical conduit, plug one end by jamming into the ground a few times, then drop a firecracker followed by a marble down the tube. It used to shoot that marble at least a hundred yards as we played "sniper" with each other around the neighborhood. [:D]
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw one years ago. It was two pieces of 1/2" pipe mounted to a wooden box. It had a couple rat traps with nails soldered to them lined up with pipe caps. It was police contraband and they stated that it was reported people had heard multiple shots before they found the kids shooting it. They were shooting 30-06 in it. I guess it was probably fortunate it was a very oversize bore.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    The closest we came to zip guns was to take a shot length of electrical conduit, plug one end by jamming into the ground a few times, then drop a firecracker followed by a marble down the tube. It used to shoot that marble at least a hundred yards as we played "sniper" with each other around the neighborhood. [:D]

I know someone else who did that as a kid . . . [Looks down at ground, whistles). [;)] Marble would go right though a pine board. . .um. . .or so I've been told. [}:)]

You can get away with some pretty oddball things to hold a 22LR round, since the .22 is really an old black powder round that operates at relatively low pressures (ie only 24k psi).

The old standby in the 1950s was supposedly a car radio antenna or the percolator tube from a coffee machine.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another approach was to use a single shot flare gun with a shotgun round wrapped in enough tape to center it in the bore. Or so I'm told.
  • Options
    peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When we were young and stupid, we used to take a bicycle spoke from the bicycle wheel, pack the big end with shotgun powder and push a #6 shot on top of the powder, hold a match under the end untill the powder went off. That little # 6 shot would shoot like a 22. After about 4-5 shots the big end would split, just unscrew and screw on another big end. Its a wonder we did not kill someone or ourselfs.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bannermans was still in business and sold Revolutionary war pistol barrels for about 75cents.
    I taped one to a homemade stock, transferred a shotgun charge into it
    and lit powder at the touch hole. The gun was held to the side.
    It went off with the charge going one way and the barrel going the other about 10 ft or so.
    I may have used some firecracker powder to start it off.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D]
    What's next?