In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rimfire barrels to Centerfire?

litetriggerlitetrigger Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
edited August 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a Martini small frame that was converted to centerfire (218B) I am sure that it is the 22 rimfire bbl. Is it safe to use? and should you use .223 bullets? thanks

Comments

• Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was done right and is safe, .223 bullets are correct.
    Without seeing the rifle or knowing the gunsmith, no one can tell you if the rifle is safe to shoot.
    I have seen Martini 22s converted to 22 Hornet that were shot safely.
  • Options
    GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a martini rifle (receiver and barrel) that was burned in a house fire. Purchased it for $5.00 and its chambered in "50" caliber of some sort. I'm considering sleeving it to 22LR. Any suggestions? I know and understand rockwell hardness testing due to my 5+ years machining experience. It should be ok in 22 because of sleeving, right? Any suggestions for a half inch 22LR sleeve?
  • Options
    williwmwilliwm Member Posts: 194 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems most I've used or seen were 5/16" or 3/8" OD.

You might use a Remington 580 barrel for a sleeve. It's a thin straight barrel, don't remember the diameter. Maybe 5/8". Or, if you have access to a lathe, you might turn down a 22lr barrel.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can use .224 bullets but you may find .223 bullets more accurate.
    You wont blow the barrel or action with a .218 Bee.
    If it's a 223 barrel it's likely a 1 in 16 pitch which probably wont stabilize bullets over 45 grains or long plastic tipped 40-45 grain bullets.
    I got good accuracy with Speers Spire points out of a .223 barrel.
    You have to try and see.
    That's a nice conversion for the small Martini.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I've built several martini's into .22 hornets, you should have no problems with yours. Try different bullets also, mine realy likes the 35 gn bullets from Hornady. Don't try to push them too hard, the rimfire action tend to be 'springy' and brass will be short lived if you push them to hard.