In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R Sportsman

taco413taco413 Member Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in Ask the Experts
I got an H&R Sportsman gave to me recently. My question is on the barrel it says "double action". Is it only double action? Reason I ask is when you cock the hammer and squeeze trigger it doesn't fall all the way. It's like it catches then falls. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    hello i have two sportsmans,one with the one piece checkered grips serial 1587, and the other nib conditon vented rib serial bao31142,I would like to know what years they were made and what issues they are, and i would like to collect one each of the 999s that were produced i have done some research,i know that there is a 1st,2nd,3rd model and i guess an engraved model,and a silver sportsman,and a 1of999 presented in a wooden case,and maybe a chisolm trail model,are there anymore that anyone knows of?and does anyone know where to find any that i am missing?thanks Terry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a h&r sportsman serial#58232 can anyone tell me how old it is and can you get parts for it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun is defective, there is a problem with the single action sear or other internal parts.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H&R's have the same basic simple action. Obviously something is catching when the hammer falls. Don't be afraid to take it apart and trouble shoot it. Other than a special target model, single action only, they are all both single and double action.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    By all means get it fixed. The H&R Sportsman is a great .22 pistol! Well worth the effort.
  • Options
    jamesjojamesjo Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does it fire when the hammer falls, or are you getting light strikes?First thing I would check is to pull the grips, and inspect the main spring assy. Depending on the Year of revolver the head may be made of plastic, which are prone to breaking, and causing problems.
    Replacements are available from Numrich Gun Parts.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, I have talked to 2 different gun dealers, 1 says the gun is supposed to "only" be double action. The other says there is something wrong with the single action part of the gun. Any input on what to do?
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your Sportsman should fire either single or double action. Some were "single" action only, but if it is marked "double action", it should work both ways. The only handguns that I am aware of that are "double action only" are defensive short barreled handguns such as some S&W J frames in 38 special. Trust me when I say that your handgun has a problem and needs to be repaired. You want the single action function for best accuracy and enjoyment of your handgun.
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    taco,
    Post the serial number of your SPORTSMAN and I can tell you roughly the year of manufacture - Model and Variation so that you can get the right parts for your gun. There are 3 different Models with over a dozen variations - and many of the variations involved changes that make them unique.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to chuckle when people describe a revelver as single or double action ! A single action has to have the hammer cocked by hand , a double action will cock and fire by simply pulling the trigger ! A revolver has to be one or the other , can't be both , no such critter ! [;)]
  • Options
    cashorcarrycashorcarry Member Posts: 85 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry 'oldsap', but my "double action" sportsman will fire either single or double action. One after the other.