In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

375 H&H barrel length

dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
I bought a unfired 375 H&H Sako with a 24" barrel that has been "Magna-ported".
If I have this "Magna-port" cut off this will leave a 22" barrel. Is this too short to get good performance out of this round?

It was bought for future brown bear and Cape Buffalo hunts.

Comments

• Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contrary to what some will say, the .375 H&H will give great performance out of 20-22" barrels. Your maximum performance will come out of a longer(26+" tube), but you will be fine at 22".

I had a Savage that I had cut down to 20" and accuracy was just as good as my 24" tubed rifles. Only difference is the slight drop in velocity.

Nononsense or others will be able to give better insight or more detailed opinions/answers I would guess.

Jon
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just out of curiosity, and by no means any disrespect meant by my question, why cut off the mag-na-ports? The three different guns I have shot that were mag-na-ported shot fine, seemed to kick less than standard, but they were noisier when fired....
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would think that you could load it down to the point where your velocity levels off due to less powder being un burned and also reduce the recoil some.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    Just out of curiosity, and by no means any disrespect meant by my question, why cut off the mag-na-ports? The three different guns I have shot that were mag-na-ported shot fine, seemed to kick less than standard, but they were noisier when fired....

No offense taken, but Bingo, noise. While guiding I have learned to hate all muzzle breaks for that very reason.

Second, the Old 375's recoil isn't more than a good push to me unlike like some of the newer "Magnums" whose recoil is quite sharp.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I campaigned for a number of years with a 375 M-70 that a previous owner had installed a muzzle break on. I cut it off to 21.5 inches and re-crowned the Bbl. The accuracy was superb, and loaded with the right powders (faster burning) velocity loss was negligible. It made a very handy and potent gun in brush or open field.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    With these few positive comments and a few others I have researched, I am going to go for it and have it shortened.

Thanks guys

Mule
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dpmule,

It depends.

When we built 'African'-style rifles the barrels usually ran about 25.6" (650mm) unless it was a true Mauser African, then the barrel went to 28.7" (729mm) with the longer forearm.

If you're only concerned with a hunting rifle then the world is your oyster and you can cut it down to about 20" while still having enough energy for your brown bear at short distances. This is not a 500 yard bear killer at this length but it will certainly do the job at shorter ranges as long as you have developed a load with a properly constructed bullet placed in the right spot. Bad bullets for the job and poor shooting can get you hurt...

Short barrels have nothing to do with apparent accuracy but in some instances sometimes are more accurate than the longer original. Note the term 'sometimes'.

Short barrels with cartridges having a 100 grain capacity can be problematic with some powders. Yes a faster powder will usually be the better solution however what you really need to pay attention to is the exit plasma. This is that bright flash exiting the barrel right after the bullet leaves. If you've ever hunted at dusk and dawn, you know what this looks like.

The ideal powder burns in the first 1/2 or so of the barrel length then allows the last 1/2 to cool the plasma some to curtail the flash at the muzzle. These powders when paired with a good 300 gr. bullet constructed for bear are:

Re-17
    VVN-540
    Accurate 4064

When it comes to Cape buffalo, I would consult the PH chosen for the hunt. The .375 H&H is often considered to be at the lower end of the cartridges for buffalo but that's not denying that thousands of buffalo have been killed with this cartridge. Again, proper bullet construction and bullet placement trumps big cartridges and bullets every time. The buffalo's presentation to you will influence your decision to shoot or watch also. As with American hunting, it's sometimes admirable to walk away in order to hunt another day.

Some folks advocate that PH is your back up when it comes to buffalo or other dangerous game. True enough but if I'm paying the bills for the hunt then I want to be the one doing the shooting and I'm darn well going to do the best job I'm capable of and do it right the first time, no excuses. Your choice, your nickel.

The .300 H&H and the .375 H&H are both approaching obsolescence due to lack of attention by the shooting/hunting public. Buy your components now when they become available since the manufacturers are going to 'seasonal' production at least and stopping production completely in some instances. These two classic cartridges deserve better in my opinion.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nononsense,Thank you for the informative reply. So let me pose this question another way.

If you had a rifle that fit you well and you had the option of either trimming the factory barrel to 22" or replacing the barrel with a new 26" what would your thought on this be then?

Mule
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dpmule,

I hate to have to say this but it will depend...

* How many shots on the factory barrel?
    * How accurate has the factory barrel been with several bullet weights?
    * What's the cost differential between the two choices?
    * Can I cut the new barrel back to the 22"?
    * Who manufactured the new barrel?
    * Is it threaded and chambered already?
    * Who's going to do the work?

If the original barrel is accurate with your chosen load, I'd probably just keep it and practice more. The new barrel will be a crap shoot since it is unproven and an unknown quantity for accuracy. Now if the manufacturer of the new barrel was Bartlein, Rock or Schneider, I would have no hesitation except for who does the installation, thread and chamber.

No matter what you decide, remember that this could be the hunt of a lifetime and you need to make decisions that reflect this ideal. A few more dollars here or there should make not break putting the best rifle for the job in your hands. This includes selecting a gunsmith also.

Let me know which way you're leaning and I'll see if I can add any more to the discussion.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nononsense,
    SInce this rifle is unfired at this time, I am leaning toward shortening, recrowning, and remounting of front sight simply from the economic standpoint. However that being said, if it throws "flyers" and doesn't group with the bullet weights I plan to try, then I will simply opt for a rebarrel.
    Any and all insight that you can shed will be greatly appreciated.