In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1885 Value?

archimedesarchimedes Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have an 1885 low wall 25/20 SS from 1900. I was curious as to what it's value is. It has unfortunately been restored at some time in the past and based on the Cody letter I have it should have a 28 inch barrel, but it has a 26 inch . It has a very nice bore and rifling. The blue job on the barrel was done very well, but unfortunately the receiver and butt plate were blued also and not color case hardened. I had hoped to one day have it restored properly, but wondering how the difference of the barrel length might affect the value? I am no expert, but the barrel looks original and not cut down so it could have been swapped? Is there a chance the Cody folks might have made a typo? It appears to be in perfect working order and I am planning to shot it this weekend for the first time. Just was hoping to find more info on this gun. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Is the frame and barrel proof stamped on top? Is the barrel no. On the underside still visible? I'm sure Bert will want photos before he puts a dollar figure on it but it could be a factory refurb. As they did not re cases color frames.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are some photos. After taking the forend off, the only markings on the barrel I see are a P and then a small star stamping near the receiver, you can see the P in the photo. No proof mark visible on the receiver, but it may have been blued over. Looking at the underside, it now appears that 2 inches may have been cut off the receiver end and everything shifted back. Just basing that on all off the dove tail cuts. What do you think?
    DSC03629.jpg
    DSC03630.jpg
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by archimedes
    Looking at the underside, it now appears that 2 inches may have been cut off the receiver end and everything shifted back. Just basing that on all off the dove tail cuts. What do you think?

The rear sight is also too far back. Probably need a chamber cast to determine what it's now chambered for.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is one more photo showing the caliber stamping. I also found the barrel number marking and it is a #1.

DSC03631.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The chambering is approximately 1.5 inches long, maybe a smidge more. What was the length of a 25/20 cartridge?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The barrel has been cut back and rechambered. The caliber stamp on the barrel was also restamped. The bottom of the barrel has two extra dovetail cuts in it.

The stocks have been sanded down and incorrectly refinished, and the frame was harshly buffed and polished before being refinished with a hot salt blue.

The value of the rifle is minimal (less than $300), and it is not worth the time and expense to try having it restored.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I figured the restoration hurt it, but since it happened over 40 years ago not much I can do about it. I suppose it will be a shooter. Is the 1.5+/- inch chambering close for the 25/20 cartridge?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cart of the World lists the 25-20 SS case length as 1.63 inches. Midway has brass http://www.midwayusa.com/product/226899/bertram-reloading-brass-25-20-single-shot-not-wcf-box-of-20
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In case you do not already know it, the .25-20 single shot (S. S.) is not the same as the .25-20 Winchester. The .25-20 Win. is shorter and fatter than the .25-20 S S.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    send it to a auction house,with a discription of what you know about it. you may be surprized at what it will bring. i have seen some realy cobbed up win single shots go crazy. i,ll bet you will get alot more than 300.00.i sold a frankenstien 38-40 low wall at auction and it brought several hundred more than i paid for it,with full discloser about the rifle. eastbank.