In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ortgies 7.65 (.32acp)

MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
I recently bought an Ortgies Pocket Automatic in 7.65 on a whim. I went looking for info on this, and ran across an article from the "Gun Collectors Digest" but could not determine a date for the article.

Anyway, the article said that button safety pistols were rare. Mine has a button safety.

The article also says that the author did not know of a "fourth transition address" Ortgies with a button safety, and doubted if one existed.
My pistol bears the "fourth transition address" as best as I can tell.

I don't have pics, but the markings are as follows:

Right side of slide- Nothing but the nitro-proof mark and crown

Left side of slide- DEUTCHE WERKE AKTIENGESELLSCHAFT * WERKE ERFURT
(All caps, and verticle) ORTGIES' PATENT

Under-side of frame lug is marked

57***
Germany (italisized)

Do I have something special?

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    No. It was a very commercially popular pistol of the thirties. No screws and a trick to removing the grips. I've had dozens in my lifetime. The ones not marked Germany are kinda rare in the states though.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although the Erfurt made Deutsche Werke pistols were only made for a relatively short period of time, after the First World War. They were made and sold in considerable quantity, specially the .32's.

You might post some quality photos of the pistol. One of our moderators collects them. He might be able to shed more light on the variation you have.