In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blackhawk convertible .38 vs 9mm accuracy?

gocargogocargo Member Posts: 54
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
How much accuracy is jeopardized by firing 9mm 115gn jacketed ammunition in the Blackhawk convertible revolvers w/5" barrels as compared to the 38/.357 mag fired out of the same (revolver)?

Am considering purchasing a couple Blackhawk 5" bbl convertible revolvers for the wife and her friends for practice and plinking as they don't like autoloading pistols (yeah, I know) and I have cases of 9mm autoloading ammo laying around.

A couple local S&W revolver guys said the 9mm is considerably less accurate when fired out of a .357 revolver due to the 9mm's slightly smaller diameter.... yet, as per the ol' m1 carbine barrel test.. I inserted a 9mm round into the front of the Blackhawk barrel and it does NOT sink to its casing any more so than I can tell the 38 does in the same barrel.

What do you guys say? (besides buy it and try it... LOL)

Comments

• Options
    do_wa_diddydo_wa_diddy Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At pointblank range they are right on target. I've even seen same hole shots. Its incredible. it all depends on distance. Since every gun is different you won't know until you try Yours. Others can give you an idea but you won't know until you shoot yours. a 38 is .357 dia.FMJ bullet. a 9mm is.355 dia.FMJ bullet. but here is where it doesnt make a difference. USE LEAD BULLETS. Lead is slightly larger and if you can find HB (hollow base) they will be more accurate.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one & it was VERY picky about what ammo it would chamber.
    Note that it doesn't use clips of any kind so the ammo must be just the right size to properly chamber & quite a few wouldn't.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The one I had shot good groups at 25yds. from both 9mm and 38,s.
    With only .002 difference in diameter it makes little diff. as there is only .001 all the way around the bullet.
  • Options
    JJ CASTINGSJJ CASTINGS Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the split second of firing, obturation swells the bullet as the pressure builds to the point that it moves the bullet. A 9mm at .355 or .356 works fine. SEE:http://www.laser-cast.com/files/Understanding_bullet_obturation.pdf

If you feel the .355 9mm standard is not as accurate in your gun as the .357, try switching to a cast bullet at .356.

I used to sell cast bullets to competition shooters. That is why JJ CASTINGS is my screen name. Many wanted 5000 45acp a month. The postal flat rate box allowed me to ship 70 pounds of bullets all over the county including Alaska. For around $8.50 at the time. I now only cast for my own use.

I have been using cast bullets in the convertible for years. "New" model with the hammer block.

I cast 9mm to .356 and do not size them. I use Lee six cavity molds. The Lee Tumble lube style (TL) in the mold description. TL356-124-2R 9mm Luger.

Coating the bullet in Lee liquid alox keeps it from leading the barrel. See: http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/466811/lee-alox-bullet-lube-4-oz-liquid

For the 357 round if I am loading at magnum pressures, I use the Lee TL358-158-SWC. Heat treated to make a "Hard Cast Bullet" like you can buy from reload shops or online sources.for magnum velocity.

If you buy bullets fro reloading, Hunters Supply, Suter's Choice, Speer Bullets, and Oregon Trail, are just a few of the folks that sell .356 9mm
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen those convertiable's do ok. I think you will find that a shorter case allows for more bullet jump before taking the rifleing is what causes the loss of accuracy. Having a pistol that shoots 3 different rounds could be a good thing.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO, you would be better off buying .22 revolvers for just practice and plinking.

The Ruger 357/9mm is built on full size heavy Blackhawk frame. It's weight and bulk might not be appreciated for just casual shooting. If nothing else try to go to a range that rents guns, or borrow one from a friend so that your wife can actually shoot one prior to purchasing.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy it and try it. (Oh. . .was I not supposed to say that? [:p][:D]).

Trying to add something here that hasn't already been said, nominally, a .38 revolver's bore should be .357" and a 9mm's .355".

But in reality, many of the gun manufacturers actually size their 9mm luger barrels a little larger to .356". Some will go as high as .357".

There is also a bit of variation in actual bullet diameter of 9mm bullets depending on composition and maker, and yeah, you can find 9mm luger bullets as wide as .357".

So to the extent you care about this, you could slug your barrel, get its exact measurement, then find a 9mm luger round that would be a perfect, or near perfect fit.

My answer to the actual question is that 9mm from a .357 revolver should be plenty accurate enough for plinking and training. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if 9mm from the .357 revolver was more accurate many 9mm service autos out of the box! I haven't personally tried this, but I've heard the 9mms actually shoot pretty well from the Blackhawk revolvers.

As mentioned, probably the more significant factor affecting accuracy here isn't the bullet diameter per se, but rather the long free-bore (distance the bullet has to jump to hit the barrel forcing cone) from the short 9mm cartridge, not the bullet diameter.

One other thing is that 9mms are actually more powerful than many give them credit for. Even cheap 115 grain "White box" ammo should signficantly outperform .38+P ammo from a 5" bbl gun. In fact, powerwise 9mm+P falls right in between ordinary .38 special and full tilt .357 magnum power.

The point is, while modest in cost these are actually not "weak" rounds at all, and they may provide a little more "punch" than expected by casual female target shooters.
  • Options
    JJ CASTINGSJJ CASTINGS Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good point. do_wa_diddy And then gocargo could get the Blackhawk for himself and use the supply of 9mm he mentioned.

But I just noticed this thread started 3/25. He may have already made his decision.
  • Options
    peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    had one a few years back and with 9mm was not accurate at all, 9mm would all keyhole from 10 yards on out. Ruger worked on it and still keyholed fainally traded it off.
  • Options
    gocargogocargo Member Posts: 54
    edited November -1
    Have not made any decision yet. Although I have a lot of 9mm, I can afford to locate and buy 38 ammo for the wifey and her friends to burn through. I am a frugal person by nature and sometimes forget the big picture. Furthermore, sometimes adding more firearms isn't the answer. Thanks for opinions on both sides.