In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger P89DC

royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
How do you disassemble it, Im confused, How do you take it apart completely?

Bill Copponex

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just checking in for any info on the quality and reliability of these firearms. I have a friend that needs cash and wants to sell it to me for 250.00. The pistol is in great shape and is stainless. any info would be appreciated thank you.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ny Ruger 89 has always fired about any 9mm round I cared to put in it. Anything from cheap Israeli Surplus ammo, to Corbons,I've put MANY thousands of rounds through it and it probably shoots better today than when it was given to me.
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    At $250 you can't beat it.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A stainless DC in good or better condition is well worth $250.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't own any Ruger semi auto pistols, just not a fan of them. But I do think they are well made and good quality. A friend of mine had his P89 DC (stainless top, alloy lower)stolen, used in a crime and tossed in the woods in San Francisco. About a year's worth of rain, fog and exposure followed by a year in the police locker and another 4 or 5 years sitting in his garage in southern Oregon. He figured it was a goner but I like a challenge. I field stripped it, soaked some parts in oil and the damn thing works perfectly. The finish on the alloy frame was fine, the stainless slide came through fine. I replaced the sights and recoil spring and it's just fine. I was very impressed at its durability.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're not particularly nice-looking, in my opinion, but they're highly reliable, and strong as bricks. As mentioned, these are one of those autos that seem to run any kind of ammo just fine. (Supposedly Ruger designed them with that goal in mind).

Checking the auction site, $250 appears to be the going rate for these guns used. While that's a perfectly fair price, its not some kind of "steal".

On the other hand, this is probably one of the best (if not the best) lightweight 9mm pistols you can buy in that price range. Its also American made, and in the unlikely event you ever had a problem with it, Ruger will stand behind the gun. From that perspective, I don't think you can go wrong with it.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its a great gun as stated...

Pull some comps to show your freind b4 the final exchange
  • Options
    kc5gxckc5gxc Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got one and am gonna keep it. Shoots great !
    Pete
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys. I picked it up and took it our for a spin. Seems like a good deal so far. I tried some different types of ammo and everything went as planned. I am a little spoiled on trigger pull and this one seems a tad on the creaky side but all in all a nice utility handgun.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by royc38
    Thanks for the info guys. I picked it up and took it our for a spin. Seems like a good deal so far. I tried some different types of ammo and everything went as planned. I am a little spoiled on trigger pull and this one seems a tad on the creaky side but all in all a nice utility handgun.

The trigger return spring is located on the left of the frame running parallel to the top. It's a plunger type arrangement, a bit different than the usual looped with a foot type and all those coils might rub a bit. A drop of oil inside the casing might help, couldn't hurt.