In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Union Switch & Signal and 1911 38 Super

MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
Well, I have an opportunity to buy two pistols. One is a US&S 1911A1 which has been blued at some point in it's past. The good, is that it still has a good High Standard barrel, and a US&S slide and frame. The grips are wrong too. They are a white plastic type. Included in the sale is three magazines, one of which has an "S" on the tab (?), but I don't recall who made it, but I think it's wartime production. Anyway, the price is $500.

Also, I have an opportunity to pick up a 1957 production 1911 in 38 Super. It has the original finish and would rate at 90%. The grips and sights (front & rear) are for target shooting. This pistol does still have a Colt barrel. Also included is four Colt 38 Super magazines. The price, also $500.

I do have pictures, but usually use my camera. Too bad I used my IPhone, because I am having difficulty transferring them to my PC. OK, so I'm challenged. If you want pictures, send me an e-mail and I will forward as necessary.

All in all, for $500 for each pistol, I don't think I can go wrong. I did post this same topic about a year ago, when the seller wanted a grand for each gun. At the time, I knew it was out of the ballpark and obviously held off. In that previous post, it was mentioned the 38 Super may have been reconfigured to a wadcutter. I have not determined that yet. The questions I have, us basically....What would you do? Buy, or pass?

Thanks,

Aaron

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Both would be shooters no collector value with wrong finish on USS H.S. barrel is worth no more then ay barrel you could by to replace it. The 38 Super with target sight unless you could install factory sights in such a way as to look original again makes for shooter not collector colt barrel is not high value by itself. With that said IMHO any working 1911 platform is worth $500.00 as a shooter.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with Perry, a sound clean 1911 is worth $500 to shoot.
    We read about the old mild steel GIs but I think it would still be a good bet versus some offshore knockoff at that price.

You should know for sure about the .38.
    A .38 Special conversion (.38 Midrange Wadcutter ONLY, 5 round magazine ONLY) is a far different proposition than a full power nine shot Super. A pre-1986 Colt Super barrel will not be the most accurate thing going, but it will server many uses.
  • Options
    MOONEDMOONED Member Posts: 936 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information. I didn't feel like digging through the vault tonight looking for wadcutters, and I have no 38 Super ammo. But I do know that folks liked to use the supers to modify and shoot wadcutters.
    I will clarify tomorrow....hopefully.

Aaron
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    i would have bought them yesterday[^]
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,978 ******
    edited November -1
    "But I do know that folks liked to use the supers to modify and shoot wadcutters.".................by ALL means determine what the .38 is chambered for before shooting. I once had a .38 super that was rechambered to .38 special..........and not marked as sutch, lets just say my hand still 'stings' when I think about it.