In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W model 629-1 44 mag

gunandknifemangunandknifeman Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have the above gun with the black rubber type grips and would like to replace with wooden type grips. My question is what type of
frame or grips does it take the N or K type? The barrel length is 8 3/8 if that makes any difference. I looked on the gun and I think I see a K near the model number??? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Terry[?]

Comments

• Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it a classic or classic DX ? My 629 classic had a round butt
    K frame grip.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry, How can I tell? I have had about 12 years. It has the stainless or nickle finish.
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRHIfWB5AG8cOx74m0mcpxFv_Wa99vgXZEXBkFQYzVFBzC2hNd8t3IldzZ

629 denotes stainless steel construction..highlight or click on entire above address to see round and square butt frames
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The classic and DX had the full length underlug. Tank's pictures
    are a good illustration of the diff between round and square butt.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 629-1 is an early 629(I know, as I have one that I purchased in 1982), and the grips are of the "N" frame size.

Best

EDIT 1

However, I do believe that some of the newer "N" frame guns, have the "K" sized grip frame, as does the "L" frame, and the "X" frame revolver's. So it is important to know which vintage your gun is, as there could possibly be two grip sizes, one will fit, and one will not.

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, everyone for your help!
    Terry
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The model 29, and variants (like the 629, etc) are built on the Smith N frame. Most of the newer "Mountain" guns have round butts:

Square butt vs round butt? Here you go:
    6a00d83424400753ef011168650f9d970c-800wi

Edit: Since there appears to be a difference of opinion here, I went right to the source to try and resolve it.

I just got off the phone with Smith and Wesson Customer support, and had a pleasant conversation with one of their representatives who told me the following:

1. *ALL* Smith and Wesson models 29 and 629 are built on the N-frame, and *ALL* Smith and Wesson models 29 and 629 take N-frame grips.

2. *NO* Smith and Wesson models 29 or 629 have EVER been designed to take the K/L frame grips, including current production guns.

3. ALL Smith and Wesson X and Z frame revolvers have been designed since their inception to take the K/L sized grips.

For those who don't know, the "X" frame is the Extra-large frame the .460 and 500 magnum revolvers are built on. The "Z" frame (and I'm not ashamed to admit that I didn't know this myself) is the new frame the Smith .45/.410 "Governor" revolver is built on.

So assuming the guy from Smith and Wesson Customer Service is correct (and I'd hope he is), "N" frame grips are the ones needed for a 629 revolver.

I would add that the difference in size between K and N isn't all that great. In at least some cases you can fit one grip on the other frame. You won't get a cosmetically perfect line-up of grip to frame, but you may well be able to "get away with it". I'd say, particularly if you're dealing with nice wood grips, to make sure the ones you get are a good fit. Speaking from experience, magnum-level recoil can crack wood grips that are less than perfectly fitting, and that sucks!

Edit #2:
    You're welcome.

Incidentally, "conversion" grips are readily available to switch a round butt frame gun, to a square butt configuration, if you like. I think for this reason, Smith mostly or entirely puts out its current lineup in "round butt" form.

It is possible to convert a square butt gun to a round butt configuration by putting the thing in a jig and filing off excess metal, but that's not exactly good for collector's value of the older square butt guns!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Beantownshootah, Thanks, Guess I should have thought to call S&W, they bdo have a great customer support system.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Man I will have to take Smith at their word, but having bought
    an aftermarket k-round butt grip and installing it on my 629 classic,
    I find it to be a real head scratcher![?]
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pingjockey

Man I will have to take Smith at their word, but having bought
    an aftermarket k-round butt grip and installing it on my 629 classic,
    I find it to be a real head scratcher![?]

See above.

K grips absolutely *CAN* fit on N frames, just the fit may not be perfect. If you're talking about a rubberized/wraparound grip, there may be enough "stretch" in there to make up the difference.

Here's a picture hotlinked from the web purporting to show K frame grips on an N frame gun:

SideView.jpg

Here's the converse, N frame grips on an L frame gun:
    konn-600.jpg

I can also tell from from personal experience that there has been some variation in the size/shape of the K frame grip over the years. Grips that perfectly fit the modern guns may not be a perfect fit over "classic" older guns, even on the same nominal frame size.