In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W N frame grips-CONTINUED

tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
Just a few more notes on this topic

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=558033

Beantown,

I do realize that you did call S&W, and got their word on that, but I do recall a previous topic on here that was about two different sizes of grips on the N frame.

However, with the current state of things with the customer service at S&W/Thompson Center, I would not put all my eggs in that basket, lest they be scrambled. I am still waiting for a sight for my muzzle loader from last December.

Best

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I concede that its possible that Smith and Wesson Customer support is wrong about this, but I simply don't think so.

They probably field this exact question several times a month, and I asked it pretty explicity:
    quote:
    "I've been told that some of the more recent model 629 guns are built on the N frame, but with a K-frame grip size. Is that true? Have there ever been any model 629 guns built to accept K frame sized grips?"

"No. All models 29 and 629 use the N-frame grips."

He then went on to explain that the K,L,X, and Z all take the same grip size, but the N is still different.

Even if you assume that the guy working the phone for Smith Customer support can't possibly be intimately knowledgeable about every detail of every gun in Smith's historical lineup, you'd hope he'd at least know the fundamentals about their CURRENT product line, right? If it were true (as some have claimed) that all CURRENT production N-frames take the KLXZ round butt grips, or there was some "exception" to this rule, you'd hope he'd at least know about this, right?

Meanwhile, if you go on Smith's website, Smith still lists for sale separate K and N frame wood grips. Those include conversion grips for N round butts explicitly listing the models 29 and 629, etc (this link may not work, I'm posting it anyway):

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_764804_-1_758002_757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

Why would Smith be listing N frame round butt conversion grips if its N frame guns took K frame grips (which are also listed separately?),

Like you, I have also read on the internet that after 1996 all standard production N frames have built using the round butt, *AND* that this round butt is the same as the K-sized one, but Smith has directly refuted this.

I've also searched pretty extensively for some sort of documentary evidence of these alleged N/K hybrid frames (like a comparison picture, or indeed ANY picture) and have yet to find one.

Instead, I've found all kinds of pictures of N-frame guns wearing K-frame grips that don't fit quite right, or ones described as stretch-to-fit (some of which I've posted earlier).

So with Smith telling me explicitly that it has never built guns like this, with Smith still selling separate wood N-frame conversion grips on its website, and without actual evidence to the contrary, I have to conclude that this N-frame-K-grip "unicorn" doesn't exist.

If someone can prove me wrong, with a picture or even firsthand experience, by all means, PLEASE do so!

All that said, again, the actual size difference between the K and N grips is pretty small, and over the years there HAS been some small variation in the actual grip portions in the frame. Not only can you fit K grips onto N frames (and vice versa), but by all accounts the Hogue rubber K frame monogrips *WILL* fit on the N frame absolutely fine.

Since Smiths are shipping out with stock Hogue grips now, this probably is the source of the confusion.

I've lifted these pictures on the Smith and Wesson forum. Note the subtle (but present) size difference between the round butt X/(K/L/Z) frame grip and the 629 N-frame, and note the apparent perfect fit of the Hogue rubber grips DESPITE the size difference:

500grips1.jpg

Hogue K/L/X/L grips on an N frame gun:
    629500grips-topview.jpg

Bottom line for me is still what I put in the other thread. If you want rubber grips on your 629, you can probably get away with any of them. But if you want wood grips, you should look for the appropriate-butt shape N-frame grips.

Edit:
    On customer service, I waited, I think 4 months to get a replacement white outline rear sight blade for one of my Smith 19s! They told me it would take a while, but it did come eventually. On the other hand, I got a spare 22A barrel in just a few days, and I was quite pleased with it. I wouldn't equate the length of time it takes Smith to get you parts with the knowledge base of their customer service.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how much this bears on the current grip question, but there were two different round butt N frame grip sizes - I've had both.

Shortly after the Smith "Thunder Ranch" model 21 came out with that gold emblem on the side plate, Smith introduced a plain old Model 21 (sans TR emblem)in 44 Special. It has a round butt and Ahrends grips, open in the back and closed in the front. The grip and upper part of the frame are different (in the same manner indicated in the photo) than my round butt 657. The bottom of the grip front was narrower too. I still have the 657, it's a MIM but no lock. The 21 is with a friend.

I don't care for Ahrends grips. In trying to find "N frame round butt" replacements (for the 21) that did not fully enclose the grip I found the wood too proud on the lower front and the top rear of the grip. Wood grips that fully enclosed the grip frame fit OK but not perfect. The gap up top was visible, the gap on the bottom of the grip was not but the loose fit resulted in slight shifting. Being pliable and "gabby" I'd expect rubber grips to fit better and stay secure.

I don't know that I would refer to the Model 21 of a few years back as having a "K frame" round butt grip, it never occured to me to try anything other than N frame round butt grips. But the grip on the earlier Model 21s was definitely not the same as the regular N frame round butt.