In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is Winchester still in business?

kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
Or is the name being used by different people?

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Olin Industries owns Winchester. Winchester makes ammunition and other shooting items, but does not, and has not manufaactured firearms since early 1981. Olin leased the rights to use the trade marked "WINCHESTER" name to FN, who owns Browning. Browning has a "Winchester" division.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    some of their ammo is also contracted out
  • Options
    laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe Browning will start producing a 21 that the forend lug will stay on ?????
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that the new Winchesters are being made in Japan and the prices in heaven. Everyone complained about the quality of the later Winchester and for the money these should shoot them selves. I have wonder for quite a while if anyone is buying and putting away some of these rifles but never got around to asking?

Emmett
  • Options
    o b juano b juan Member Posts: 1,941 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    a salesman in agun store in San Antonio said that the factory in Japaan was affected by the TSUNAMI. Is that true?
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    some of their ammo is also contracted out

Yes. I bought a couple of boxes of Winchester 7.62x25 Tokarev, and the cartridges looked identical to the S&B that I had been buying. When I examined one of the boxes, it stated that it was Czech-made. And it was a couple of bucks a box higher than when in S&B boxes.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Emmett Dunham
    I think that the new Winchesters are being made in Japan and the prices in heaven. Everyone complained about the quality of the later Winchester and for the money these should shoot them selves. I have wonder for quite a while if anyone is buying and putting away some of these rifles but never got around to asking?

Emmett

I believe that the current mod70's are being made in SC at the FN plant. They are supposed to be using some serious badd * CNC or computer something or other machines.