In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Italy Rino Galesi-Rigarmi Brescia .22 Pistol

HipncashHipncash Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
I would appreciate any information that any of you can provide to me on this item. The individuals on this site amaze me with the vast knowledge they have on these sorts of things.

For example what year this is from and what it may possibly be worth. One side says made in Italy. The other side says Rino Galesi-Rigarmi Brescia Cal .22 L.R. With a 31361 underneath. Please see the pictures below. It is about 5 inches across.

Thank you so much in advance and have a blessed day my friends! : )

IMG_6844.jpg
IMG_6845.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the Italian Proof Marks will be in a Roman Numeral format. This will be a coded date. Many of the small Galesi pistols were imported prior to 1968, this is when the gun laws were changed stopping their importation. They were in various calibers and were sold as inexpensive personal protection and plinking handguns. Due to the condition of your pistol it wouldn't be worth a heck of a lot.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Look on the right side just aft of the trigger. You should see some Roman numerals. The date can be figured from those. I have a Soc It Galesi made in 1968, so yours is a bit earlier, probably in the fifties.
    They are well made little weapons and yours, due to the state it's in, should bring about $50-$80. Really cool grip panels on it though...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you so much for the feedback rufe-snow. It is greatly appreciated. Upon further inspection of the item near the grip and behind the trigger is a PSF and 1958. So I guess it was made in 1958.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you so much as well p3skyking. Your information helped out immensely. Any suggestions on cleaning it or is it best to leave it as is.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hipncash
    Thank you so much as well p3skyking. Your information helped out immensely. Any suggestions on cleaning it or is it best to leave it as is.

IMHO the best way to make it presentable would be to have the external surfaces sandblasted. Then paint it with one of the gun specific paints that are on the market now. The sandblasting will tend to disguise and blend in the surface pitting that's has affected the original finish. Brownells the gunsmithing supplier carries a selection of the various spray paints that are specifically made for guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great advice rufe. Thank you my friend. Have an awesome weekend! : )
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Personally, I'd just oil it and carry it. Value-wise, You could probably buy another one for the time and expense you would have getting this pretty.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have the magazine?
    Does the gun work reliably?
    These are important factors in it's value.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did end up just wiping it up a bit and it does look quite a bit better p3skyking. So your advice is also much appreciated.

Unfortunately I do not have the magazine Bill. It seems the specific one for this item can easily be purchased online or at a place that sells stuff for guns if I am not mistaken.

From what I know the gun does work reliably. Before testing it what would you suggest based on your experience to make sure everything is fine with it before doing so? I appreciate your post and input my friend.

Anthony
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting old pistol. If there is some family history to it, I would take it apart for a cleaning and oiling and keep it just as it is.