In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Yugo M-24/47 jammed bolt

lee shermanlee sherman Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
I have a Yugo M-24/47 Mauser style rifle chambered in 8MM Mauser. Never had an issue with it until today. Shooting brass case surplus ammo. After approx. ten rounds the bolt refused to open. Lever at the rear of the bolt would not move at all. Whacked on the bolt handle a few times with a rubber mallet and it opened up. Nothing obvious found. Shot another 10 rounds without difficulty. The bolt and the receiver don't match. Anybody got any ideas?? Locking lugs? Thanks in advance. LS[?]

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    one round was way over pressure locking the bolt...better check headspace if not matched
  • Options
    lee shermanlee sherman Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advice. I'll have it looked at. Thanks
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It never hurts to have a cheak up on a rifle. Did you by chance look at the primer on the round that stuck? Any good reloading book/site will show examples of what high pressure loads can look like. Was the ammo you were shooting the type? I think there were some hot loads for the roller lock machine guns that are not ment for a regular bolt gun. Perhaps you had an oddball in the mix. For a shooter non matching numbers is ok as long as head space is good.

The lever on the rear of the bolt is the safety. It will not move unless the firing pin is cock. Lever down on bolt handle side is fire (3 o'clock). Lever straight up (12 o'clock) is safety. Lever down on left (9 o'clock) safety and bolt will not open. Aftermarket ones to clear a scope usually put it on safe and lock the bolt in the up position.
  • Options
    silent-anarchysilent-anarchy Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem with mine shooting turk ammo, couldnt find the problem so i sold it. best to get a vz24 you will never have an issue with those.