In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 887 issues

searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
A friend of mine bought this used Remington M887 nitromag. He said that it would fire sometimes, and sometimes not. I ran some shells through it, and it wasn't even denting the primer on most of them. I dissasembled it to check the firing pin, which was fine. After re-assembling it, I notice that the bolt had about 1/4 inches slack, in back and forth play. When the forearm is held forward,putting pressure on the bolt and causing it to eliminate the slack, it fires fine, but when it's back, in kind of a normal position, the firing pin isn't able to reach the shells primer.

Doing some research, I see that this is not an uncommon problem. Are any of you aware of a fix for this? As he bought it used, he has no warranty.

Bolt showing approximately 1/4 gap, when slide pushed back.
CIMG2106.jpg

slide pushed forward, gap is closed, and the gun will fire:
CIMG2107.jpg

(sorry for the crummy pics, but I think you get the point)

I appreciate any help with this, or experiences.

Dan

Comments

• Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
    Plan A:

Send it back to Remington and see if they stand behind it. Or call and see if they will. Seems Remington is the Taurus of shotguns these days.

Plan B:

I don't know jack about the internals of the 887 but you might check which part is causing you problems.

Is it the action slide or the part that it engages to move the bolt. Or the bolt itself that isn't locking up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's got to be slop in the bolt locking lug and the bolt lug in the reciever, even though they don't show a great deal of deformation. I'm just wondering if it was poorly designed to fire 3 1/2 in mag shells, and the recoil has caused excess wear on the locking lugs? I really don't see this as anything but a factory repairable problem. I would really like to have some other opinions, though, as to whether might be missing something or not. Frankly, I don't see how I could be.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Found this on line, it might help you.

"Re: Remington 887 PROBLEMS !

Postby secret squirrel ? Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:34 am
    Double/Triple Feed - Live rounds jamming/ejecting or falling out of the magazine into the water? I was able to fix all of these issues in 2 minutes. See below for details;

Hello,

New member to the Remington M887 / 887 nitro mag family ... shotgun one day New, never fired.

Situation:

Got it home cleaned and lubed it, Loaded shells and went into the woods to shoot it. Pull trigger BOOM, pumped it .. first shell ejected great then I started to get double/triple feeds resulting in jamming. Sometimes the 887 would eject a spent shell plus a live round while chambering a third round, other times live shells would just fall out the bottom.

Disassembled magazine inspected .. looks good .. did this twice with same results. Called Remington customer service and they mailed me a new trigger group (customer service was outstanding). After comparing the new trigger group to the one with all the problems mentioned above it was clear what was wrong.

Because the post is detailed with pics please use this link http://www.remingtonowners.com/topic32-10.html

I joined and posted here because a member of your forum helped me troubleshoot my weapon. To return the favor, I hope this post helps any others facing the issues I did. Take care

Squirrel"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, his problem is different than mine, but I saw my problem listed on that same forum. It appears that the 887 isn't highly thought of, and on having this one apart, I'm not impressed. I think I'll advise my friend to contact Remington, and see if they'll do the right thing, even though he bought it used. This shotgun does not appear to have been shot enough to cause wear issues.

Dan
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    It sounds like the bolt head is not locking into the barrel. You need to find out what is not letting it go forward enough to rotate in.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never had one a part, but sounds to me like the previous owner may have lost a part while it was taken down.

I would be getting a schematic to be sure all the parts are there.

I checked Numrich's & they had none to post for the 887.
  • Options
    JGR2018JGR2018 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have joined the 887 disappointed group. Bought it and if jammed on the first shot of teal season. HAve talked to several guys that dislike them as well, although there are a few people that have not had an issue with them. Overall lots of problems with them, not the best design from big green. Just came from a DU dinner last night and they could not give them away. One auctioned for 150.00 brand new. Now that says something for what is thought of them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, I'm now pretty sure that it is in the trigger assembly. The bolt locks up fine, rotates into the locked position. There is still slack in the slide, and I'm pretty sure that it is in the slide stop/release mechanism in the trigger group. don't find any parts available for it, I expect we will be contacting Remington as soon as I have the go-ahead from the owner.

This thing is a POS, in my opinion, and I would not advise him to spend much on it. The slide rails are flimsier than any I have ever seen. There isn't even four slots for the bolt to fit into, just two in the front, and a couple notches in the back. It is a serious pain in the * to get the trigger group and bolt back in, as it is so flimsy that it wobbles all over the place. I seriously do not know how Remington ever thought this gun would hold up to 3 1/2 mag loads. Maybe something I'm not seeing, but I am not a fan of this gun, and personally would never own one, unless someone gave it to me.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another Remington POS .. Well there is a surprise. Call them and demand another gun or credit on a decent 870 that works..