In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Computer (non-gun) Question ???

abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
OK ,
Is it possible to use a wireless card (verizon , att , sprint) and hook it into wireless router so a couple (2 laptops and a desktop) computers be used ???
If so , How ???
Thanks !!!
d.a.stearns .............. a.k.a. ......... SKEEZIX .................
Gunsmith / LEO
Athens , Tn

www.allamericangunshop.com

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to run wirelessly, each computer needs its own wireless network card.

I should add that most laptops and even desktops come with wireless cards built in and installed from the factory.

I'd also add that you generally connect multiple computers VIA ETHERNET CABLE to one router.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    beantown :
    I think uou missed the question :
    Can we use ONE wireless card , into a router (somehow) and then run a couple of computers ????
    Yes , our laptops have built-in wireless cards , But out here in the middle of nowhere , our only two (2) options are dial-up (really NOT an option) , or wireless cards (with NO service to link to) for EACH Computer (what we are trying NOT to do) , But Rather have ONE Wireless card and run a couple !!!!!!!!!
    Thanks !
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need what is called a mobile hotspot. This is Verizon's version. Believe all the other cell companies sell similar ones under different names.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/explore/?page=mobile-hotspots
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rufe :
    Went to flea-bay and already bid !!!
    Thanks , at least a usable answer !!!
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns
  • Options
    torizustorizus Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it can be done. I have an at&t usb modem and have it feeding 2 laptops via wireless. the key is the usb, your router needs a usb port, mine is a Cradlepoint, which was the only router capable of accepting usb modems. There have since been a few more I've seen that accept usb.
    There are also usb to rj45 (?) adapters that will connect your modem to router.

I think that was your question.
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have Verizon Wireless with a Samsung 4G LTE cardlike device. When my grandkids visit, they just enter the password on the back of the device into their laptop and we're all on the internet at the same time.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by posh
    We have Verizon Wireless with a Samsung 4G LTE cardlike device. When my grandkids visit, they just enter the password on the back of the device into their laptop and we're all on the internet at the same time.

The "4G" coverage is very limited at this point in time. Large metropolitan areas only, depending on the carrier. State in which I live only has 4G coverage in the two largest cities. If you live in a rural area such as ABC and myself it might be years before "4G" becomes available.

I've had two different air cards over the years, both were almost as worthless as dial-up. I live in a fringe area that has very poor high speed download reception. OK for e-mail and written text on forums, forget-it if you want to use Pandora or U-Tube though.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Verizon sells a portable hot spot that ocnnects to 3g for data and provides wireless service for up to 5 other devices.

You can do the same with a phone, but you usually have to pay for the high end data service and perhaps also for the "right" to tether other devices to it.
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a USB 4g from Verizon, its very fast. The 3g that you may be stuck with is adequate. The hotspot needs to stay charged. This may present problems as I think that I read that a constant charge isnt allowed and possibly no puter while it is charging?? If battery goes yur sool oh bandwidth limits too and they are small
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of Verizon's "Smart Phones, have a mobil HOT SPOT, which requires a data charge, same as the mobile card. The wirless card will only run one device at a time. The mobile HOT SPOT will run 5 at a time. I use the hotspot to run my laptop, and printer, when I am away from home.

Best
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I hooked my ATT modem to a router I bought at Wal-mart. It runs my lap top fine.