In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BERT H. saved me money.

eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
was going to buy a mint 94 made in 1938-1940, but after looking it over i noticed it was tapped for a reciever sight on the side of the reciever and remembering what bert said about that they were not factory tapped there, i declined the rifle. eastbank.

Comments

• Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I've also borrowed on Bert's research, when looking at 94's. He gives most 'standard' references on manufacture dates, flat tires.

Altered pre-64 94's are worth (IMHO) what the quality of their basic manufacture (very good) makes them worth as shootin' guns, but no more than that.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did Bert say that there was any possibility that the receiver could have been machined for assembly of Model 64's, many of which were drilled for receiver sights, and were numbered entirely in the Model 94 range?

Where ya at on this issue Bert?
    What's next?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Did Bert say that there was any possibility that the receiver could have been machined for assembly of Model 64's, many of which were drilled for receiver sights, and were numbered entirely in the Model 94 range?

It is not impossible, but it is very unlikely to be the case in the specified time period (1938-1940). The receiver frames for the Model 64 were segregated from the Model 94 receiver frames.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bert H.
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

It is not impossible, but it is very unlikely to be the case in the specified time period (1938-1940). The receiver frames for the Model 64 were segregated from the Model 94 receiver frames.

That's a good point. I think I recall that you did mention in the past, that if a piece did look to be original, then a good indication of such would be that the screw holes would be factory blued, right?
    What's next?
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert is the man. Several years ago he told me that I could not use 30-06 dies to reload 30-03 cartridges for my '95 Winchester. So I had to stop doing it. Don't question the experts. Drink the cook ade. EZ
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you stopped using the '06 dies, and personally I'm sure Bert had a good reason for advising as he did. So did you drink the "cook ade" and regret it? Remember where you are, friend, and respect your betters unless you have a good reason not to.
    All of which has naught to do with 94 receivers so I best sign off.
    I'll go have some coffee now. Feel better then.[:D]
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elubsme
    Bert is the man. Several years ago he told me that I could not use 30-06 dies to reload 30-03 cartridges for my '95 Winchester. So I had to stop doing it. Don't question the experts. Drink the cook ade. EZ

And I will still tell you or anyone else the same thing today.

For those who are not aware, the 30-03 case has a longer neck on it, and if you try to full length size (resize) a 30-03 case in a 30-06 sizing die, you will damage the case and possibly the die.
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert has advised me many times on my dad's Winchesters. He is the man !!