In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Purpose of Leather Barrel cover?

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
Seen this on the auction side and am curious as to the purpose of the leather barrel cover. This was a sailors weapon so I am guessing something to do with moisture, but how and why, or is there another reason like sound control maybe?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=282761363

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oiled leather doesn't rust, greased leather can be sticky instead of slick wet metal.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Protection against rust from salty sea air.
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a friend in Napa California that has a 56 Spencer rimfire rifle that has a barrel wrapped in leather.He got it from his grandfather was the town blacksmith.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    The idea was corrosion protection, but in practice, it did not work as well as it was intended. The leather got moist and then kept that moisture next to the barrel, where it made the corrosion problem worse, not better.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    The idea was corrosion protection, but in practice, it did not work as well as it was intended. The leather got moist and then kept that moisture next to the barrel, where it made the corrosion problem worse, not better.

That's what I figured. Keep the leather oiled keeps the barrel oiled but in reality it just holds moister.

I could also see that it would provide some noise control with carbines resting against boat gunnels etc. but that didn't seem to be worth the trouble to me.

Thanks folks