In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Oil filled Walnut Grips

old-dogold-dog Member Posts: 209 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone explain what a "walnut oil filled grip" is that Ruger used in the Single Six starting in 1963?

Once agian, thanks for your expertise...

From Gun Blast.com:

Ruger made several changes in their single action revolvers in 1962/63. Three of the most notable changes were the new redesigned black anodized grip frame (marked XR3-RED) versus the original XR3 grip frame, the change to oil filled Walnut grips versus varnished Walnuts, and an aluminum alloy ejector rod housing versus the steel housing

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably a typo. Most likely should be oil finished, rather then oil filled.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks I thought it would be strange to have an "oil filled" anything on a firearm..You are likely right on here...
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    Probably a typo. Most likely should be oil finished, rather then oil filled.

I don't think this is a typographical error. Ruger does (or did) indeed call this an "oil filled" grip.

Presumably, Ruger means that the PORES and crevices of the wood are filled with linseed oil, tung oil, or whichever oil they used to finish the stocks, as opposed to their older varnished wood finish.

But so far as I can tell, this is just a conventional oil-finish over wood, just with fancy marketing lingo (remember "dymondwood"? [;)] ).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There are a pair on item #

I gather these are oil filled grips.[?]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw that term in S. Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values, & wondered about it myself. I think Beantown's correct; I've never seen any wood grips on an SS or BHK that did not look like standard "oiled" walnut.

OTOH, early Ruger Bearcat wood grips have what looks like a chunk of walnut suspended in polyurethane, which I could understand someone calling "oil filled". (I have no idea what they really are, they may even be entirely synthetic.)

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah Those grips don't look like any other Walnut Grips I have seen on a Ruger Single Six but Gun Blast does mention two types of Walnut Grips:

"Walnut grips versus varnished Walnuts"

I am thinking this plinker has "Walnuts'

It's my suspicion that the grips I see here on this item at auction a non varnished "Walnut Grips".
  • Options
    deluxe86deluxe86 Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old Dog, the grip panels on the gun in the post you mention are Walnuts with the oil finish (termed Oil Filled Walnuts by Ruger), they are XR3-RED panels and are correct to the gun.

The early Bearcat grips someone mentioned were called "Rosin Impregnated Rosewood" by Ruger....they were a lot like Wondawood!!
    Bill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bill I went back and forth but now I am positive since you guys have helped me...Many thanks to all.

btw, I like those grips better than the others anyway..Thanks again