In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester 70 220 swift barrel

DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
What type of steel is the pre 64 (1953) winchester 70 standard barrel 220 swift made of? Is it stainless and can it be blued? The barrel has a 53 stamped on the underside

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is a Varmint model it should be stainless with a finish on it. The first run was iron plated and then blued then they went to a finish called "Du-Lux 3-0".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's a standard 24" sporter barrel, not a varmint barrel
  • Options
    cody45cody45 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    most every factory swift barrel ive seen was 26"
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I agree, I've never seen a swift barrel shorter than 26". There are a very few hornets with shorter barrels, but not swifts. If you could post the serial number of the rifle, we can tell you when it was built. There where 19,934 pre 64 model 70s built in 22 Swift.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Your right it is 26". I just assumed it was 24"
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Hi,
    A '36 barrel date will mean that the barrel is probably alloy steel. It will have a standard blued finish, and be 26" long. A '37 or later barrel is going to be stainless steel, have an iron plated, sandblasted, matte blued finish, 26" long.