In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Trigger adjustment on BLR

twogunkellytwogunkelly Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
I just got a Browning BLR made in '93 7mm REM and never fired...Has about a 6 lb.trigger...any way I can adjust it to about a 3.5 lb.trigger????Do I need to buy springs or take it to a dealer?????Thanks, It's a beautiful gun!!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    twogunkelly,

Sometimes, it is not the actual pull weight of the trigger, but the amount of creep(sear engagement), and over travel, that counts. While 6 lbs., seems heavy, I would give it a good lubrication, and shoot it and see how it shoots, before I done anything. Get some snap caps, and give the sear a couple hundred snaps to give it time to wear in a little, before you go and have anything altered.

If it is not broke, don't fix it.

To answer your question, the work you describe, needs to be done by a qualified gunsmith, who has a good understanding of trigger mechanism's, and NOT done by a hammer jockey, who sells guns, and tinker's on the side.

Best

EDIT 1

You don't need to wait 3 years. Get yourself a $9.95 snap cap, and do it from the comfort of your recliner, in your living room, during an hour or two, of watching Guns & Ammo TV, Impossible Shots, Best Defense, Shooting USA, etc.

But if you insist on going to a Browning repair center, good luck. There are several dealer's out there, but 90% of dealer's are in it to make money from a sale, and have no interest in the gunsmith end of it, or the insurance bills that go along with the gunsmith end of it. So you have to be careful as to who you get...hence my previous post.

Best
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    TSR has this right, use it a bit first. The BLR is a nice rifle but it is NOT user friendly. The inside looks like a cross between a car transmistion (manual) and a key way cutter.
  • Options
    twogunkellytwogunkelly Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I need to take it to a browning dealer in colorado..I can't see the point in shootin it for 3 yr.s to get the trigger like a I want..I've had alot of my guns worked on and set at about 3.5 lb.s ..once you get shootin the same trigger it's really bad to have to pull hard on a magnum to get it to fire..Thanks
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both sides of this coin have merit.

HEADS It is a fine new gun and needs to 'wear in' , but who said wait 3 Years ? Get it clean and lubed, find something good on the history/discovery channel tonite,insert a snap-cap , and put your '3 years of wear' on the trigger.

{Personally, I would rather have a short, clean, 5 pound break than to creep to a 3 pound break that continues to move 1/4 inch more before it stops.}

TAILS To shorten up that movement you may still have to take it to a good gunsmith....so , why not just do it all in one stop ?

ENJOY !