In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 750

jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
Looking at a remington 750 in 308 caliber. Any thoughts pro or con about the gun / caliber

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Does anybody have strong opinions about this rifle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What did Remington do when they converted from the previous semiautomatic 7400 to the 750. My gunsmith will not even work on the 7400s, I have had one since I graduated from Boot Camp, never had any problems with it. But everyone calls it Jammatic, so what did Remington change in the gas system or is it just cosmetic. I am a Remington guy, and would like to give it a chance if its a true new design.
    Thanks
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, go for the Browning BAR, or Winchester SXR instead.

Best

EDIT 1

From what I see, the 750 is a redesign/rehash of the 740/742/7400 series. they are all very finickey, and need to be surgically clean, and are NOT a high volume semi like the AR's, or M1A's. They are a 1000-1500 round rifle at best.

EDIT 2

Mobuck,

You are certainly a very patient individual. Most folks that had a 742, will tell you, that unless they are kept extremely clean, they will not function. I have only had 7 or 8 of those series rifles 740,742, 7400, and Four, in my hunting family. The Four was a turd out of the box with a bad gas system, and a 740, and 742 literally shot themselves to death, as the bolt is harder than the rails on which it rides...any dirt and grime always adds aditional wear. Mom's 742 Carbine in 308 Winchester, functions OK, provided it is kept clean. It has maybe had 60 rounds thru it, since she acquired it second hand.

I am sure Mike Whiskey will be along to add his displeasure about that series of rifles as well...they are hard to keep clean, and to do it right, the barrel does have to come off.

Best
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't shot a 750. Done some work with a 740, 742 and a Belgium BAR. I liked the BAR. http://www.rifleshootermag.com/2010/09/23/featured_rifles_remingtonwood_052207/
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with the 750. Made in the USA and just as good as Browning's Japanese crap..
  • Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the bar, but, there's nothing wrong with the 750
    quote:Originally posted by MFI
    Nothing wrong with the 750. Made in the USA and just as good as Browning's Japanese crap..

BARs are made in Belgium (and assembled in Portugal)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I own a BAR and it is definitely not crap.
  • Options
    iceridericerider Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:)] I have a 750 Woodmaster carbine in 35 Whelen. It functions flawlessly. I carry it in Alaska and have never had a moment of problems. It has a new gas system and some other upgrades from the previous version and works well. I did purchase a 10 round mag from Brownells, but it is a piece of crap and will not feed correctly. Brownells says it is for 30-06 and not made for my cartridge. I don't see what dif it makes as the 35 is a 06 case opened up to 35. Anyway the 10 round mag does not work. The factory mag that came with the rifle works fine. I also HAD a BAR in 270 and it would not shoot less than 4 inches at 100 yds from a rest. For what it is worth.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to inject an opinion here.
    I've owned and shot 8-10 Rem 742's in several calibers(mostly 30/06).
    I've seen them so dirty from shooting you couldn't touch them w/o getting carbon black on your hand. The only one I handled that had any sort of functional problem was that early production 6mm(actually so old it was marked 6mm Rem MAG) that was simply clogged with carbon and powder residue.
    Looking at the folks that own Rem 742's and those that own BAR's gives me a profile with decidedly different outlooks. The Browning owners are more likely to take better care of their BAR while the 742 owners tend to stick theirs in the gunrack and and leave it there until they want to dump the mag at something.
    You hang that BAR in the back window of a pickup, subject it to a year's worth of road dust, add some rain spray, don't clean or lube it, and then give it some rapid fire action, and see how it handles that life.
    A few years ago, I saw a BAR that had suffered this use show up at an elk hunt. I spent 2-3 hours getting the sand and dust out of the mechanism and working some lube in before that rifle would function.