In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

4-22 Colteer

Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
I am looking at a 4-22 Colteer rifle and could not find any info on the form and none for sale on the auction side. Someone give me an idea how much I should offer for a really nice one that I consider to be between 90 and 100 percent.

Thanks

Emmett

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt "Stagecoach" which similar but with a 16" barrel. Got it for my Dad in 1971 and it hasn't been shot much. Mine is very accurate and functions 100%. They were fairly expensive(as 22 rifles go) in '71.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one I have looks exactly like the one in the picture. The receiver is aluminum. Somebody spray painted the receiver black; I was able to buy it for $150 a few years ago. The rifle functions just fine but they ruined the value. Maybe they painted it to hide some scratches.
  • Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own several Colteer 4, Courier, and Stagecoach .22's. 90-100% is a wide range of condition. For a 95% version I think $250.00 is a reasonable price. These rifles have an aluminum receiver which was painted black and very easily scratched, but had nice walnut stocks and very nicely blued barrels and magazine tubes. There should be a slide-on front sight hood on a compelte rifle. They are usually missing however. The Colteer model had a straight stock, Courier a pistol grip stock and the Stagecoach a straight stock, short barrel, saddle ring with leather string and engraving on both sides of the receiver with "gold" highlights.

These little rifles came about when Colt took on employees from the defunct Jefferson/Kodiak gun mnufacturuers. If you ever come across a Kodiak 22 rifle you will immediately see the resemblance. Kodiak came in a 22 Mag model which Colt apparently did not decide to manufacture. Colts early high power rifles were about the same or identical to the Jefferson rifles until they went to Sako and other foreign sources.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jptatum
    The one I have looks exactly like the one in the picture. The receiver is aluminum. Somebody spray painted the receiver black; I was able to buy it for $150 a few years ago. The rifle functions just fine but they ruined the value. Maybe they painted it to hide some scratches.

Just remove the paint. The anodizing will not come off with paint remover or the like. The gun is worth more, and will look better, with some scratches in the original finish (assuming there is still original finish under the paint), rather than the black paint.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please note, the original finish is black paint. Unless you are absolutely sure it has been repainted, I'd suggest NOT stripping it.
  • Options
    jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sure it was repainted and I have not intention to strip it. It doesn't look too good but it works.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jptatum
    I am sure it was repainted and I have not intention to strip it. It doesn't look too good but it works.
    These rifles came from the factory with a complete crap, paint type finish on the reciever which was a total mismatch with it's deeply blued barrel.

I've owned one of their very similar Stagecoach models for years and like it, but it's suffered the same fate as all others I've seen that aren't safe queens. This cheap coating was highly prone to wearing through on all edges, as well as chipping.

I don't doubt your eyes-on assessment that your rifle has been repainted, but just because it look like bubba painted it in his garage doesn't necessariy mean it's not factory original. [;)]