In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 73 barrel fitting

RowdyDanRowdyDan Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
I am a gunstock engraver and that interest has led me into the area of rebuilding a couple of model 73s and a 92. I've acquired a number of parts over the years and thought I would put some together to showcase my gunstocks. One thing leads to another and now I would like to build a couple of shooters.

The information I don't have is how to actually install the barrel. (Yep, I know it screws into the receiver.) How do I determine the barrel is screwed into the receiver the proper amount?

Also, the barrels I have are all octagon but one of my receivers is a carbine. Did all carbines have round barrels? I don't see how the carbine forend would use a barrel band with the octagon barrel so I'm assuming they weren't ever configured that way?

I have a complete 73 rifle but the magazine tube is about 3 inches shorter than the barrel. I haven't found any examples of this configuration so am guessing the mag tube was a replacement at some time.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:How do I determine the barrel is screwed into the receiver the proper amount?

When it stops screwing into the receiver. Winchester made the barrels such that they will index properly on any receiver frame. Simply turn it in until it stops.

quote:Did all carbines have round barrels? I don't see how the carbine forend would use a barrel band with the octagon barrel so I'm assuming they weren't ever configured that way?

Yes, and Yes.

quote:the magazine tube is about 3 inches shorter than the barrel. I haven't found any examples of this configuration so am guessing the mag tube was a replacement at some time.

My guess is that it was shortened (cut-down)... how long is it?
  • Options
    RowdyDanRowdyDan Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:the magazine tube is about 3 inches shorter than the barrel. I haven't found any examples of this configuration so am guessing the mag tube was a replacement at some time.

My guess is that it was shortened (cut-down)... how long is it?

[/quote]

The barrel is 23 1/2 inches and the magazine tube is 20 3/4 inches. Patina seems to match that of the barrel so it could be original, but still cut down for some reason. I'm guessing the end got dented somehow (hand to hand fight with an * maybe?[:)]
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the barrel is actually 23.5 inches long, it too has been cut down. The mag tube has definitely been cut.