In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.308 Winchester vs. 7.62mm X 51 NATO

trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I apologize profusely if this is a previously-discussed topic...

I've just plunked down big bucks (for me, anyway) for a new Remington 700 Varmint rifle and scope. The rifle is chambered in .308 Winchester, and I asked the dealer if I could use 7.62mm X 51 NATO in it too. He said he thought it wasn't a good idea, based in part on differences in chamber pressure and overall ammunition quality. In fact, he opined that the cheap UMC FMJ .308 Win would be a marginal choice to shoot in a rifle as nice as the 700. And I have to say, I've seen an article on the 'Net saying that .308 Win and 7.62 NATO are the same--and aren't--at the same time. My "Cartridges Of The World" book doesn't mention any material differences between the two, so what's up with this?

Comments

• Options
    rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless I'm wrong, the cartridge .308Win has a higher operating pressure than the cartridge 7.62X51 NATO
  • Options
    nelchrisnelchris Member Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes you can shoot NATO in a modern.308 just not the other way around or some of the convertions that are stamped .308 are not safe to shoot modern win .308
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will encounter no problem at all in using 7.62mm Nato in your Remington 700 Rifle in .308 Win. There is no significant difference between the cartridges. You may, however, wish to be selective on which 7.62 Nato cartridges you use, as some surplus from foreign countries is corrosive and non-reloadable.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No difference in real life.
    cpermd
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    Ask the manufacturer. I asked Springfield and they said all of the above is fine to shoot in a M1A. Browning also said either is fine.

moc.murofsmraerifeht
  • Options
    bluewaterhunterbluewaterhunter Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Remington 700 PSS in .308. Good quality 7.62x51 works like a champ in my rifle. Hertenberger and Portuguese BALL performing the best. Costs around $4.00 a box and shoots close to an inch at 100 yard with the occasional flyer. What do you want for $4.00??
    The only stuff I had some issues with was Isreali bulk. Got some resistance closing bolt so I stopped and did not lock. Quickly gave it all away.
    www.Georgiaarms.com has FAANTASTIC Factory new loaded 125 Gr (3000FPS) and 150 GR. in Nosler Ballistic tip. Under an Inch at 100 grouping flat shooting at 200 yds. 125's don't like a cross wind much though. $17.00 a box. Cuts Ground hogs in half!

Have Fun, You got a great gun!

"Lead, Follow, Or Get Out Of The Way."

Charlie
  • Options
    bluewaterhunterbluewaterhunter Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bluewaterhunter
    I have Remington 700 PSS in .308. Good quality 7.62x51 works like a champ in my rifle. Hertenberger and Portuguese BALL performing the best. Costs around $4.00 a box and shoots close to an inch at 100 yard with the occasional flyer. What do you want for $4.00??
    The only stuff I had some issues with was Isreali bulk. Got some resistance closing bolt so I stopped and did not lock. Quickly gave it all away.
    www.georgia-arms.com has FAANTASTIC Factory new loaded 125 Gr (3000FPS) and 150 GR. in Nosler Ballistic tip. Under an Inch at 100 grouping flat shooting at 200 yds. 125's don't like a cross wind much though. $17.00 a box. Cuts Ground hogs in half!

Have Fun, You got a great gun!

Charlie

Charlie