In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR-15 mag followers

rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
Will the "new" green followers fuction in the older GI/Colt 20 rnd magazines.

Comments

• Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Don't think so- the "tails" are too long on the newer followers- you'd have to cut them down, defeating their purpose. If you did use them in a 20 rounder, you'd only get about 15 rounds in a mag. Better off not decreasing the value of those 20 rounders by removing the followers and possibly losing them.

comp45.gif

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rordog.... the new green followers were made for the 30 rnd mags.
  • Options
    Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I remember seeing a catalog that had the green followers for the 30 round and ones for the 20 round. Most of the ones you see are for the 30's. I only saw the 20's one time. I can't remember how had them. If find it I'll post the name for you.

I rush in where others flee.
  • Options
    Rifleman.308Rifleman.308 Member Posts: 101 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rordog: You can, but you may not need to. 20-rd GI mags are not known to have feed problems because of tilting followers. However, if you absolutely want to ensure no tilting, cut the legs on a green follower down to about 20mm. If you don't, it will mount but it will only hold between 15 and 18 rounds. Also, once mounted, make sure you break in the follower/mag fit a little. Ironically, you might notice a problem feeding AFTER you install new followers. This only means the follower has not worn properly "into" the mag yet. Work it with a ruler or other such object several times and the problem will go away.

For what it's worth.
  • Options
    rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. All I shoot are the "twenties" and I was curious if a guy should buy some of the green followers since they are so cheap.
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not aware of a feeding problem with original Colt M-16.
    Although it has been a very long time, I never had a problem while in Asia. Always had 19 rounds loaded and one in the pipe. Worked for me.