In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

2 CMP Questions - M1 & M1903

seb1999seb1999 Member Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I want to have a good M1 & M1903 "shooter" and I am considering purchase through the CMP Sales program (I am a qualified buyer for this program) and I would like to know:

1. Is the service grade M1 a better buy at $500. rather than the rack grade at $400.?

2. Which would be a better purchase - a High Numbered Springfield C Stock at $475 or is a Remington C Stock at $500. the better buy. Also which A3 is the better purchase a Remington S ($400.)stock or is the Smith Corona S stock ($425.)the better purchase or does it matter?

My objective is to own a safe shooter that is correct to type that may or may not appreciate.

Thanks for any and all opinions given

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    For an M1 "shooter" you are much better off with a service grade since the throat errosion will not be above 5. Rack grades can go as far as 8 and at that level the barrel is pretty well done for. From a collectors standpoint the rack grade offers a far better chance of having the original (although worn) barrel on its receiver and that is my interest. I am not at all convinced that any of the 03's you mentioned offer any clear shooting advantage over the others, but 03's are not my real area of expertice, so I'll let others provide you with guidence on that subject.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Mark. I have bought several service grade M1's, and think that they offer the best value. However, some of the Danish M1's with the VAR barrel are supposed to be extremely accurate; however, all of them have been mutilated to some extent by the Danish, and I don't think that they will ever be considered "collectible".

I bought a Remington '03 C stock, and think I wasted my money. Most of the '03s and '03A3's have been refinished (ALL of the Remington C stocks have replacement stocks) and most have been mutilated to some extent by the Greek Army; i.e., numbers engraved on the bolt, numbers stamped on the stock. They will never be nearly as "collectible" as those with a USGI finish. If all you want is a shooter, I'd get the least expensive rifle that they offer, or look for one of the original ones sold by DCM in the 50's on the second-hand market.

Neal
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will only add to what Mark and Neal have commented upon:

www.jouster.com

Forums on both arms.

The 03 and 03/A3's are all rebuilt and are not truly a collectors item.
    The Garands-well heck-Mark is the in-house expert. Just purchase or borrow a TE and MW ga. The waiting is part of the enjoyment. Yes, the service grade would likely have better barrel specs. Just down load the forms, have the papers notarized, include you DD-214 or H.P book, check the corect box and submit payment. Then wait! Perhaps some things were omitted but go to: www.odcmp.com Have fun! 101