In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 629

DonldDonld Member Posts: 741 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I recently acqired a 629 Classic which had no markings on it except the serial number, i.e., all the stamped or rolled markings had been polished off to a very shiny finish. I recall reading a few years back an article in one of the major gun magazines about two 629's that were done this way. Mine has an 002 scribed under the crane. Does anyone remember reading that article and where I might could get a copy?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Today I saw a S&W 629 at a gun shop today. It was stainless, 8 3/8" bbl., wood grip. It looked practically new, 98% I'd say. It was used put the only evidence of that was a dirty bore & cylinder. The guy wanted $340 for it. Good deal?

-Marcus

***When the Second Amendment falls, the First will be sure to follow.***
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know anything about the S&W 629 in .44 mag, stainless, advertised in the latest Shotgun News for $430[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is meant by recessed cylinder pinned barrel? I've seen this referred to several times about older model 29's and newer 629's.

Liberty Bells Life Member
    http://www.libertybelles.org
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Donld.... I have 2 Smith 629's. They are the stainless version of the model 29.
    The 2 I have are the 629 with 4" barrel, and the 629 Classic with a 5" barrel. The classic has a full underlug barrel. They are both excellent guns, and can handle any .44 cal ammo both magnums and specials.

$430.00 is a good price for a 629 in good cond.
    There were about 40 different variations of the 629 made over the years.