In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger 357 vs Taurus 357

RCMP-ERTRCMP-ERT Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
Any opinions on the Ruger GP100 or the Taurus Model 627. Both 357, 4" Stainless. Trying to decide and looking for input. Main use would be target shooting. [?]

Comments

• Options
    CWatsonCWatson Member Posts: 964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like em both.The Ruger is more robust and will stand up to more full power loads.CW

1.Before I got married I spent half my money on women and guns,THE REST I WASTED!

2.KILL EM' ALL AND LET ALLAH SORT EM' OUT!
  • Options
    rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a few Taurus advocates in the group. I do think Taurus is attempting to improve both quality and name recognition, but a Ruger GP100 has proven itself to be extremely durable and built like a tank.

Accuracy is another subject.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    The ruger will stand up to just about anything you put through it. Tha Taurus is much like the S&W. It may feel better but it will not hold up better than the Ruger. PS if you want a leather rig for one I have one I want to let go of.[8D]

<br>
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gap1916,

By leather rig do you mean a leather holster for a GP100, 6 inch barrel? If so, what type?

Email me information as this conversation will probably get poofed.

Thanks

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,548 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the Ruger!

My shop has sent many a Taurus back to the factory for use of their lifetime waurantee. Taurus offers a lot of features, but Ruger offers reliability. The Taurus will not stand up. I'd never buy a Taurus for this reason alone.

Regards,
    Got Da Bling Bling?
    pickle.gif
  • Options
    DarrellDarrell Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gee you'd think the Ruger repair shop had to close for lack of business. A range I instructed at and rented guns and the owner tracked the ammunition shot in rental guns. He had a Taurus M85 with a well DOCUMENTED 50,000 rounds thru it. Gun still seemed very serviceable. Rather impressive but it was just ONE gun. I find both Ruger and Taurus to be of close to equal quality based on the ones we see at the range. But one thing you learn is that they can all fail including Rugers.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago I had a Taurus 65 .357 mag. I sent it back twice because the ejector rod bent during firing of 200-300 .38 spec. target type loads. I found that unacceptable and traded it off.

Mobuck