In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ladies recommendation

WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
OK here is the situation I have a female friend who has just obtained her CC permit and lives / works in a "not so good" part of a big city. Also she occasionally receives threats from and has run ins with dissatisfied clients. She is looking to buy a handgun (semi-auto or revolver) to use mainly as a gun she will "take with her everywhere" so she wants something light than she won't leave laying at home because it weights too much. She has shot everything I own from .22LR to .44Mag and can handle them all well but she prefers something around a .40S&W but caliber is also a question here she is wiling to look into anything equal to or above a .380. SO what do people think what would be the "perfect" carry gun for a single female, mainly for CC, price range under $800.00 out the door full package. One last quirk to throw in she HATES DAO's so forget them.

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it

Comments

• Options
    snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my wife loves a 1911a1 and carries a cold comander 90% of the time the rest of the time she carries a 38
    but a good small .357 is nice

Lt. snarlgard RRG
    SMILE...MAKE EM WONDER WHAT YOUR UP TO
  • Options
    martzkj@msn.commartzkj@msn.com Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take a look at S&W Airlite Titanium.
  • Options
    smith629smith629 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walthers ppk/s in 380 is a very good one,the sig 380 is another.Stay away from cheap JUNK. Smith629
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with a charter arms bulldog .44spl. I own one and am quite happy with it. I also own a taurus titanium .45lc, which saved my life once and I am quite happy with it, although it does kick like a mule but it leaves nice holes and powder burns at near point blank range [:D]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On the automatic end I would recommend a Walther PPK or Colt .380. In a revolver I would go with a S&W Mod 36 or 60 in a 2" barrel. Take her to a gunstore and see which gun fits her the best. Some have used guns and ranges, try it out and see the results.
  • Options
    358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife tried several but settled on a 3" 357 by tarus and never leaves home without it.

SUPPORT SHOOTING AND RELOADING HELP TEACH OTHERS<P>
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let her try dry firing one of the Para Ordinance LDA compacts, ok it's double action only, but has a really light and crisp trigger. She may find she likes it.

Have you considered trying to get her a holster purse? That way she wouldn't have to worry about leaving the gun home as much. If she likes 40s&w check out the Sig Sauer 239. It is compact in size.

Being she doesn't like DAO, she's really missing out on all the compact & lightweight Glock & Kahr 9mm pistols. I bet if you found a good gunshop with a gunsmith who has a trigger job done on a Glock, she might just fall in love with it.

Regards,
    Got Da Bling Bling?
    pickle.gif
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife currently likes the Glock 19 and S&W 3913 TSW. She can handle most of my other firearms in various caliburs. She prefers the 9mm as she can shoot it well and therefore practices more with it than she ever did with the others.

Help her find a comfort level and a firearm that fits her hands. JMHO

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I'd opt for a Glock 27 or maybe even a Makarov. Both are small, reliable and pack a punch. Got a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 special with a 3" barrel and that wouldn't be a bad choice either.
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Revolver ALWAYS preferable to auto. (You all know the various reasons why.) S&W 36 or 60 or its variants are nice. I do not like the liteweights--excess recoil. If you (or she) can handle the recoil, you cannot beat the older 3" 44 special Charter Bulldog. It is the most underrated (I don't know why) little piece available.
    Have fun, be careful!
    Morty