In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

36 caliber Colt Navy (value)

96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
Last month on general discussion I related that I have been invited to look at any antique gun collection being sold in an estate acution. Since that time the lady had taken all the really good stuff out and all that remains appears to be boat anchors. She did show me a 5 shot 36 caliber Colt Navy, serial number 2225. It appears to be 60% bluing with wood in good condition. I has some engraving on the cylinder that appears to be a stagecoach and horsemen, perhaps depicting a battle or robbery, it's difficult to tell. Have any idea on the value of this piece. She has mentioned someone at a museum in Indianapolis told her it was worth mega bucks. She is uncertain about putting it up in the estate auction for fear it won't bring the very large amount she expects even after being offered to place a reserve bid on it.

There is minor pitting on this gun and some surface rust. Anybody take a wild shot at value?

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    This is another one for Judge Colt, our resident Colt Expert...He should be along shortly.....just be patient for a bit.....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't comment on the value of the gun. However, early Colts are a highly specialized area and I am sure that the Judge will need a lot more details that you have provided; do you have high quality digital photos?

However, I will comment on what appears to be the same kind of situation that has frustrated me many times. The seller thinks the item is worth a lot of money, but doesn't really know how much. You, a hopeful buyer, can't possibly be trusted to make fair offer. The seller is unlikely to pay a nationally known expert for an evaluation, and probably doesn't even know where to get one. If you are an expert, the seller would use you to get an evaluation, and then play you off against others who may be willing to pay more. In the end, you won't get the gun.

What I do now is: I say to the seller, "Decide how much you want for the gun; I will say either yes or no. Here is my phone #." And, I walk away. It's a lot less frustrating.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mmyers,
    Thanks. I was with the auctioneer tagging the guns. She pulled this out and started talking about how the museum (not seeing it) made a statement it could be worth 25,000. My response to the auctioneer later was, "I don't think so, it's not in pristeen condition."
    I was told she didn't want to shovel out the money for a history from Colt Arms.

• Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You really don't give me much to go on, but from what little you do say, it sounds like either the Model 1862 Police revolver or the Model 1862 Pocket Navy revolver. The differences are these: 1)The 1862 Police has the rounded barrel and the improved "creeping" loading lever. 2)The cylinder is fluted and rebated over the locking lug recesses. The Pocket Navy 1)Has the 1851 type flat octagon barrel and the older type loading lever. 2)The cylinder is solid, i.e. not fluted, and is also rebated over the locking lug recesses. Both revolvers were numbered in the same serial number range, starting at number 1 and going through number 47,000. About 28,000 were Police modles while the rest where Pocket Navies. Value of the two is about the same starting at around $600 and going up to around $2500, unless the barrel is marked "Address Col. Colt/London" which will double the value of the revolver. Hope that this of some help. Scout
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    It sounds to me like this is an 1862 Pocket Navy Model. If it was an earlier model, it should have a Naval scene on the cylinder.

If it is an 1862, the barrel should read: "ADDRESS COL. SAML COLT NEW-YORK U.S.AMERICA. COLTS/PATENT" and have a stagecoach holdup scene on the cylinder.

If this is a standard model, in 60% condition, the Blue Book lists it at $3,075.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you guys so much. I will take this to the auctioneer and share it with him. He will be appreciative as well. This one has the stagecoach scene on it after closer examination it's clear as to what it is. Dennis