In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FFL QUESTION...

michael minarikmichael minarik Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
'A'in Iowa sells a Mossberg shotgun to 'B' in Colorado. 'B' does not have an FFL but 'B' provides 'A' with B's FFL Id's numbers and 'A' check's the ATF web site and validates the FFL. Can/should/would it be okay for 'A' to ship to the address on the FFL as posted on the ATF web site...?

Seem's okay to do this..???!!!

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,794 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might be OK but I'm not shipping w/o the actual signed copy in hand.

Mobuck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why do you need a signed FFL to ship to the address on 'that' FFL...one does not need a signed FFL from Remington, Winchester or any other gunmaker if sending back for repairs...!!!!????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    contacted the ATF here is their quote and the answer to my own question... "this is legally acceptable" probably should'a called them first.
  • Options
    IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    DO NOT TRUST ANYBODY, GET A COPY OF THE FFL FOR YOUR RECORDS.
    You are the one at risk, not the recieving party.
    Better safe than sorry.
    My 2cents
    Walte
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to this date ATF has said no electronic transfers of FFL license is valid!! All dealers, wholesalers, know and understand this. Manufactures may return a firearm to the owner after repair, if a new receiver (different serial #) is involved it must go to a local FFL to transfer to you.
    signed copies must be sent by regular mail.
    once you receive it you can use ATF web site to verify number is good.
    I think you got some bum info calling ATF.
    if you are not an FFL shipping to someones FFL, I advise you get signed copy of the FFL your sending to, for your own protection. and only send to the address shown on the FFL, once varified on the ATF web site.
  • Options
    BlokeyBlokey Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess that it's not required when sending the firearm for repair because it will be returned to the owner, no transfer of ownership takes place.

When a transfer of ownership occurs, it has to go through an FFL. The FFLs where I live insist on the firearm be SHIPPED by an FFL (sending a signed copy of their FFL) to maintain chain of custody (for CYA purposes). If the gun is not shipped by an FFL, my transferring FFL (pawn shop) will call it in to the local PD for a records search and I have to wait 40 days before I can pick it up if it's clean; his policy, I abide by it.
  • Options
    EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fergusonmorse392
    to this date ATF has said no electronic transfers of FFL license is valid!! All dealers, wholesalers, know and understand this. Manufactures may return a firearm to the owner after repair, if a new receiver (different serial #) is involved it must go to a local FFL to transfer to you.
    signed copies must be sent by regular mail.
    once you receive it you can use ATF web site to verify number is good.
    I think you got some bum info calling ATF.
    if you are not an FFL shipping to someones FFL, I advise you get signed copy of the FFL your sending to, for your own protection. and only send to the address shown on the FFL, once varified on the ATF web site.

A shipper is only required by law to get a certified copy of an FFL if the transfer is between licensees. Otherwise, it is not required.
    Also, if a manufacturer is returning your firearm OR A REPLACEMENT it can been sent directly to you without going through an FFL holder. See 27CFR 178.147. It's on page 75 of the "Green Book."
  • Options
    Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    178.94 Sales or deliveries between licensees. Verification shall be established by the transferee furnishing to the transferor a certified copy of the transferee's license and by such other means as the traansferor deems necessary. (Verification must be made prior to the transaction.)
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FM392..
    In 1986 I returned a contender frame to contender for repair...no FFL needed by me... I received a brand new frame..different serial# ..of course.. With a note..."To whom it may concern... (paraphrased).. this frame #1234567xx replaces frame #9876543xx, that was damaged beyond repair and has been destroyed by the undersigned... (Signed by someone at Thomson Center Arms).. I guess the rules have changed...