In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kimber VS Colt National Match

coprosscopross Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have a Kimber Stainless II with night sights and am thinking about trading for a Colt National Match -70 or 80. Which of the two would be the better gun to have? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    quote:Which of the two would be the better gun to have? Thanks!

The Kimber would be the better of the two!

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As a 45 man I finally did a comparison between Kimbers and Colts and the final verdict was:

Standard Colt Vs Standard Kimber: Avantage Kimber
    Colt N.Match Vs Kimber Golt Match: Avantage Colt
    ColtXS Vs Kimber Custom: Even
    Colt Defender Vs Kimber Ultra Carry: Avantage Colt.

I based this on a multitude of things such as reliabilty, accuracy, weight, carry, cost, and workmanship. The results above were based on shooting all of the above and owning most of the above. Although all of the above are fine weapons. Hope this helps.[:)]
  • Options
    19111911 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is kind of a general question. I think it depends on what you are doing with the gun is it for carry, comp, or just to add to the collection. as far as a general answer I think the colt is the better gun of the two mentioned.
  • Options
    coprosscopross Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your help. I think I'll trade for a National Match Colt to use as my duty weapon.
  • Options
    DarrellDarrell Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A National MATCH is just THAT. A TARGET gun. It is not designed for nor meant to be used as a self-defense weapon. It is tuned to function and perform BEST with target type ammunition. A self-defense gun does not need that type of accuracy. To get it you have to get the gun down to the finest tolerances. Not a good idea for a gun that needs total realiability. If you use high performance load in a National Match it will soon start to show declining accuracy as it should. Top match shooters know that using TARGET loads that after a time the National Match type gun needs work to keep that gilt
    edged accuracy as wear impacts performance.
    If you try to compare guns few understand what it takes to do it and have it mean something.
    1. If you have two twin National Match guns and a box of expensive
    TARGET ammunition designed for maximum performance you will find
    each gun may perform unlike the other. Gun A may group under an
    inch at 25 yards, Gun B may not. Each gun has it's own particular
    response to a particular loading of ammunition.

2. To get anything meaningful you must compare a LOT of guns and
    then that may not mean much as a lot of things can impact the
    performance including wear, temperature, environment, etc.

If you have a Kimber and a Colt NM side by side it doesn't mean a thing. You can go get two more just like them and shoot them with the same ammo and the entire picture can change.
    For Self-defense an off the shelf conventional 1911a1 is more than adequate. You will be shooting at 21 feet or less at a LARGE target, and the majority of such encounters call into 10-11 feet. Hardly competition conditions. 85% of those encounters will be low light and/or darkness. You will find those night sights rather useless at those distances as you won't have the time to use them and you can't defeat weapon threat focus (you look at what is trying to kill you) and if you tried you'd learn when in a state of fear/fright you can't not focus on anything within 4 feet of you because of the paralytic impact of adrenaline, cortisol, and other factors. That is a simple medical fact which I can give you the exact scientific explanation if you like which we got from the Mayo Clinic.
    Don't confuse TARGET shooting with COMBAT shooting. They are not related in content or application. Get a gun designed for COMBAT shooting. The answer may be under your nose.
  • Options
    smith629smith629 Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Kimbers.[:D] [:D] [8]
  • Options
    DarrellDarrell Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Then you will wet yourself with the new 1911's from S&W, since they make a lot of parts for the Kimber. Now you can go factory direct.