In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Modifying a CA-legal FAB10 receiver

duster68duster68 Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
My firm is moving me to Phoenix from the RPK this spring! Out of this sorry state for good, thank God! One of the first guns I'm getting once I establish residency is a "real" AR-type rifle. I spent way too much money on an CA-legal AR built on the FAB10 receiver. Is it possible to have this modified to accept detachable magazines? I'll be living in a free state and want to keep this gun, but not in it's current configuration. Would it be cheaper to replace the lower receiver?

Comments

• Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe that the legal expert-Mark Christian-will be able to answer this question w/o problem. My suggestion is to sell the FAB thing in California, if legal, then pursue your original quest. 101
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    duster68 - In your position I'd buy a stripped lower "ie" Bushmaster, Eagle Arms (Armalite), Rock River, I think all are $150 or less - and transfer the other parts over, if your comfortable with that, otherwise just buy a complete lower.

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind
    kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The FAB lower exists for no purpose other than to beat the ban here in California and has no value outside of this state. I suggest you simply try to unload it on someone here before you make your escape. Once you are free across the Arizona line you'll have your choice of lowers. Modifying the FAB will be more trouble than it is worth. Enjoy your new life in Pheonix and don't forget to attend the SAR gun show in December at the State Fairgrounds...plenty of assault weapons and machineguns.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    duster68duster68 Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just as I suspected. Lowers are certainly cheap enough so no biggie. Thanks!