In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lewis machine gun by Savage (value)

wizdadwizdad Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
Any idea what a Lewis machinegun made by Savage arms might be worth?
It is about 95% complete with about a 100 round magazine.

Comments

• Options
    treedawgtreedawg Member Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    is it registered???
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't know for sure.
    Not mine.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Not sure??? WELL YOU BETTER FIND OUT! If it was not registered during the 1968 ammnesty it has a value of ZERO. All you can do with it is give it to a police department, donate it to a museum, or surrender it to the BATF for destruction. Those are your ONLY three options on an unregistered machinegun. Don't play any games with this gun if it is contraban- you are talking 10 years in prison- it is not worth it.

If the Lewis was registered it is among the 6000 or so that were used by the Navy and Marine Corps. The Army bought a few thousand but very few were ever used by the Army for other than training. In excellent condition these guns would retail in the $15,000 range and the value stays pretty constant down to average condition...these Savage/Lewis MG's are tough to find. There are a few pre-1986 Savage/Lewis MG's that were built on remanufactured receivers or as reWATS and registered prior to May, 1986. The value if these guns runs about 20 to 25% less than an as issued example no matter what the condition.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for the information.
    I'll see what I can find out.