In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Military style gun cases or similar???

JackRussellTerrierJackRussellTerrier Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I'm a long time lurker but don't post very often. I'm wondering if anyone could stear me in the right direction for a gun case for an HK SP89. What type/brand of cases do the militarty or speacial forces use? I don't want to get into to much money but I want to get a good quality padded case that's compact and will carry my SP89, plus maybe three clips.

I found this one http://www.tjacorp.com/eagle1.htm it's the first one pictured model DC-16. Does anyone know anything about this brand of cases??? I also found this one but I'm not crazy about it. http://www.doubletriple.com/bigpics/spec0051.htm

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

Comments

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't really have cases in the Army. M16's would be shipped in locked racks and then passed out when needed. Pistols were shipped the same way.

From the items you referenced there it seems that you are looking for a case that doesn't scream GUN.

I know a guy who carries his handguns in a zipped red Trapper Keeper binder, even has a picture of Tweety on the front of it. Another guy I know carries his long guns in a lightweight golf bag, even has a tassled club cover over the stock or barrel portion that protrudes from the bag. I also saw a guy that transports his AR15 in a soft padded guitar case. I like this idea the best.

For the size of that HK why not a nylon or leather flexible briefcase that has a shoulder strap?

Regards,
    Got Da Bling Bling?
    Itchy-01.gifRunForYourLives-01.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for responding with some good points. I don't want a case that screams gun as you stated I just wated something of good quality to keep it/carry it in. I was just wondering if there was a brand out there that most considered the best, as far as a carrying soft case goes. I asked about military only because it's that type of gun. I'm just a collector who wanted a nice case for a nice peice of equip.

Thanks, I'll just look around and when I see something I like I'll get it. I kinda like the one from the first link in my original post.

Thanks again, Brian
  • Options
    goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look up "Ace Case" on the internet. I have one for a mini-14 that I bought at a gun show. Good quality for a low price.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The two brands of soft cases that I use are Assault Systems and Galati International. The Assault Systems cases seem to be a bit more sturdy, but I like both brands. The old Browning Travel vault and the newer Pelican cases are rock solid and will survive nearly anything you can dish out. I am an old school guy and still believe that the aluminum gun cases offer the best in protection. My favorite brand is Ziegel Engineering (562) 596-4734. They have a full line of cases in every size and for every need. Neither type of hard case I've mentioned will be cheap, but I figure you can afford to put a $3000 HK SP-89 inside something decent!

Avoid like the plague any of the gun show special aluminum cases imported from China as they are simply cheap brief cases made up to look like gun cases and will fall apart before your eyes if subjected to any kind of serious use. I'll tell you up front that it is VERY difficult to find a case that does not "screem gun" and still offer a high level of protection. I've been in the gun business for 25+ years and have transported and shipped everything from handguns to machineguns and these are my experiences and suggestions to you.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mark, your post was not only very informative but also very helpful. That was exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

Thanks! Brian

PS The SP89 is in brand new condition (fired one time in it's life) and will be put in a good home thanks to your info.

Next I'd like to be looking for a case for an HK SR9TC [:D] But first I need an SR9TC.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I own an HK SR-9TC and you'll need a case at least 44" long and 12" wide, since the target grip and adjustable stock take up considerable room. My personal choice for this application is the Ziegel Model 5 double rifle case. This measures 48"X 16" and gives you enough extra room to leave the scope mounted on the rifle and for a couple of extra magazines tossed in. If you want to detach the scope you can use the Zeigel Model 4 single rifle case which is 48"X 11". Retail costs are $250 for the Model 5 and $165 for the Model 4. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any more questions about the cases or the SR-9TC. It sounds like we are on the same page with our firearms choices!

Mark T. Christian