In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

10mm to .357 Sig, Glock conversion

bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have seen aftermarket barrels for the model 20 Glock to convert the 10mm to .40 and even to .357 Sig. I know the .40 is a slightly shorter 10mm, and I am pretty sure the .357 Sig is a .40 necked down to basically a 9mm.
Is there any benefit to buy a barrel to shoot the .357 Sig over the 10mm? Do these use the factory 10mm mags, or would I have to buy .357 mags as well?
It would allow for multiple caliber use and I'd guess the .357 would have less recoil than the 10mm...
I'd also like to know if anyone has tried them.
Also, has anyone used Firedragon barrels? What do you think of them?
Thanks

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.

Comments

• Options
    tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your understanding of the various rounds is correct, and from personal
    experience the recoil of a .357 sig is much less than a 10MM. I tried using Glock 22 mags (.40 cals) in my Glock 31 (.357sig) and they did not feed correctly, so you probably would need different mags for the different rounds. I think the .357sig mags were necked a little different from the .40 cals.. 10mm mags may work to feed .40 cals but I could not say for sure. On the Firedragon barrels, I have one in .375sig for my Sig 239 and it works great, however you have to use good quality factory ammo, or factory spec reloads. The Firedragon barrel that I have is a match barrel and any attempt to feed improperly sized ammo into it will result in a serious jam. Hope this helps
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only barrels I can comment on are the Federal Arms (Korean) .357 Sig Barrels that I TRIED in my M-20.
    Both were in excellent condition and dropped in with-out any fitting. Both functioned fine with the standard Glock 10mm magazines.
    BUT! with both barrels I tryed, there were indications of incipient failure (stretch marks) on 2 out of the 3 standard commerical loads I fired in the pistol.
    This wouldn't be a problem if you didn't reload the brass and just used the standard factory ammo.
    As I intended to reload, no way was I going to use that brass.
    I contacted the dealer that I bought the barrels from ( LONEWOLF ), and explained my problem. He very graciously agreed to accept the barrels and refunded my money. OUTSTANDING PEOPLE TO DO BUSINESS WITH!!
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have a 357 SIG Firedragon barrel for my Model 22 Glock. It has always worked fine. I bought it before Glock started making 357 SIG guns. I have not had any feeding problems. I used Firedragon's recoil spring system because of the greater recoil. The 357 SIG round shoots a little lower than the 40 S&W. I have a 10mm Colt that I also shoot with a 40 S&W barrel. The 40 mag has a spacer in the back, but the gun functions fine with 10mm mags. I actually have converted the Colt to use ISMI Glock flat springs. I found that the 10mm takes a 22# spring while the 40 S&W functions properly with a 17# spring. I imagine that the 10mm Glock is going to require a lighter recoil spring to function properly with the 357 SIG barrel.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your inputs.

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.