In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Enfield 1859

poackleypoackley Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I have an Enfield muzzel loader with the words "1859 Enfield" on the lock plate. Also a crown with the letters V.R. under a crown. It seems to be about .59 cal. It is in very poor shape. The barrel was held on with 3 barrel bands. It has a brass butt plate and there is no marking on the barrel or any other place on the gun. It was brought back by a G.I. last December from Afganistan where he paid over $200 for it. If anyone has any information or know where I can find it, please let me know.

Comments

• Options
    TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    I dont know anything about the rifel but I did read an artical in a magizine a little while back. It was about how the people in Afganastan were armed with outdated rifels. It showed them with all kinds of old rifels. One of the leaders or chiefs or whatever they are called had an old NOI Enfield from WWI era. It was one of there better guns.
    They were probly still using the one you have. It would be neat to see it. Can you post a picture?
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,243 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Enfields of that era were .58 caliber and were designed to shoot the Minie ball. They were prized weapons of the American Civil War. It is possible that yours is an original, or it may be a copy. The Afghans are able to make copies of rifles.
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that your Enfield is probably a Model 1855. As to exactly which model would depend on the barrel length, infantry, sargent's ect. The date 1859 is the date of manufacture and Enfield stands for the place of manufacture, Enfield Lock England. The V.R. under the crown is the cypher of Queen Victoria. The groove diameter of the barrel is .584 and uses a Minie bullet of .577 diameter which is expanded to groove diameter by the powder gas. Interestingly, these rifled muskets were made on machinery made by Robbins, Kendall and Lawrence of Windsor Vermont. If the rifle musket is in as bad a shape as you say, then $200 is about what it is worth.
  • Options
    LanceLance Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a reasonable possibility that the Enfield is an "Enfield" -- that is, a copy made who-knows-when from who-knows-what in the tribal areas bordering Pakistan and Afganistan.

How can one tell the difference between original and old copy? I dunno. If you intend to shoot this, get it x-rayed, magnafluxed, and proof tested.

If it's to collect, an appraiser should be able to tell if it's of English make.

If it's a wall-hanger, who cares whether it's safe or who made it?