In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Improper ignition of Powder

queeksdrawqueeksdraw Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I'v noticed extreams in group size (38spl/44spl) when bringing the gun on target from 12 o'clock (gun pointing up) or if I raise the gun from 6 o'clock (gun pointing at ground). as much as 1.5 inch per 5 shot group. My thought is the uniform ignition of powder, or the lack of uniformity causing the wide spred in group size. It is always a better group if I bring the gun down from pointing at the sky.

So I'v been useing W-231 for years and it leaves a lot of space in the case. I know there has been some advancment in propelants of late. Anybody useing a powder that takes up all that space? Maybe one that gives good target quality loads as opposed to rip roarin self defence loads. Or heck just a powder that will eat up some of that space. I'v tryed all the powders that have been made befor 1990,I'v even tryed Green Dot. So I'm hoping for some new magic stuff I guess.

You'v gota kill it to grill it

Comments

• Options
    poackleypoackley Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A person might want to try a little corn meal on top of the load. It takes up space and keeps the powder on top of the primer. I have used it for many years to fire-forming ackley loads and it works well in blackpowder pistols. I know it would be a real pain to fill the shell every time and could cause a little more pressure so you might want to lower the load to start.
  • Options
    Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    There are volumes written on this but I think you have correctly diagnosed it. One point, if you take the corn meal (or other filler) recommendation be sure to use a wad of some type to keep the filler and powder from comming in contact with each other and/or mixing.

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
  • Options
    ked-marked-mar Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Queeksdraw.
    I'll tell you a little secret, that I used 40 years ago.I took a fired case, turned off the rim, and drilled a 1\4" thru. the primer hole. I used a swiss file, and filed saw teeth on the rim of the case. You now have a hole saw, that is a little larger than a sized case because, you used a fired one. Now, and I don't know if you can find, a milk carton, any more. Put the case in a drill press, and put the milk carton on a board, and cut away. When you get several in the case, take it out , and use a 1\4" rod, to push out the cut wads.
    I then loaded the case with a small amount of powder, Bull-eye shooting inside, and used a small wooden dowel to push the wads down,tightly on the powder. Talk about helping group size WOW. From a rest I could shoot one hole groups, at 50 ft. The waxed wads worked great. After several matches, people would start looking around, a saying( I wonder where all these little rings are coming from)I would just grin, and not offer any suggestions. As far as I know they never figured it out. I'm telling you this, but don't ever tell any-one else.L.O.L Hope this secret helps, and I want to hear the difference you are getting in groupe size. K.J.S.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ked-Mar, how were you insuring you were compressing the powder consistently, or does how much you compress a powder not make a difference on velocities?
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    queeksdraw----you might try a magnum primer
    ked-mar---- excellent!!
    I use a similar system to load shot shells for snakes, in 357 & 44, many years ago. used wax to seal the over shot wad, then swiched to crimping a gas check up side down over shot.
  • Options
    ked-marked-mar Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rsnyder55.
    I used a wooden dowel, that I turned to size in the lathe. I think, that I was loading 2.7 grains, of 700x. I just pushed the dowel down, till it was as tight on the powder, as I could get it. This load was for my .38 Special. For my 1911A1, it didn't seem to help as much. I don't know if the .45 case was short enought, to not need this help. But the .45 shot one hole groups, the way it was, and that is hard to improve on,no brag, just fact.The .45 does have a special preferance, for primers.392 might have a good idea. It's worth a try.I use slower burning power, in the .44 mag, which, comes closer to filling the case.I would try what I did on squib loads, for your .44 Mag. Good shooting, hope I helped.
    K.J.S.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    You might try Tite-Group form Hodgdon. It seems to be less position sensitive. I have been using it in 45 Colt with good luck.
  • Options
    queeksdrawqueeksdraw Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greatinformation. Thanks all. I will try each in turn.
    And P O Ackley is that your stage name or might you be related to about a half dozen books on my book rack?

You'v gota kill it to grill it