In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

308 NATO or 308 WIN ??????

upinyeupinye Member Posts: 68
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
What is the difference in military 308 and commercial 308 Winchester ammo?

steve

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only Diff is case wall thikness, Shoot away your good to go-

Just like the .223

gun1.gif

God Bless our Troops
  • Options
    HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    also .308 NATO might be a proper term but in my opinion it should not be, it should either be .308 win. or 7.62 Nato.
  • Options
    zapperzapper Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it is the same stuff. America is the only country that has not gone metric. We still measure in inches..thus .308. is the diameter of the bullet. .308 = 308/1000 = 308 one thousands of one inch.
    The rest of the world is metric...
    7.62nato was adopted by the Nato alliance our Allies..
    the metric measurement is 7.62 diameter by 51 mm length.= 7.62x51
  • Options
    toolman9mmtoolman9mm Member Posts: 337 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go to the above sight...if that data is right it doesn't sound the same....i shoot the 7.62 out of my fr-8 but not the 308 winchester. i wish someone would say yes or no...thanks tom
  • Options
    king999king999 Member Posts: 450 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are supposedly some minimal differences, but your rifle will never know it. The correct terminology is either .308 Winchester or 7.62 X 51 NATO.
    Have fun, be careful!
    Morty
  • Options
    Randy SmithRandy Smith Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have purchased some 7.62 Nato that did not function as well as .308 Winchester and I had some trouble with extraction in American made rifles. My single shot break open rifle had on trouble with them. I'd buy a box and see how your gun likes it before making a large purchase.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Generally speaking, any rifle chambered for commercial .308 can be used with 7.62 NATO.

While .308 will fit any (military) rifle chambered for 7.62 NATO, many commercial .308s are loaded to higher pressure than the 7.62 military load, and shouldn't used in rifles made for 7.62. This is particularly true of older military rifles that were converted to 7.62 from other calibers.