In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 1908 Mauser ?????

trsmith5trsmith5 Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me what caliber this rifle might be as there is none stated on the barrel. It does say " Deutsche Waffen-Und Munitions Fabriken. Berlin "
It looks like an 8 millimeter or so but the stock looks like it's been custom made with a nice high cheek piece like a monte-carlo
but the action looks like a mauser

I appreciate all the replies this forum has given in the past.
I wish I'd found this site sooner.

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Probably a 1908 Argentine or Brazilian contract Mauser. Building a custom rifle on one of those actions currently. And it should be a 8x57JS (8mm Mauser), however, a limited number were made in 7x57 Mauser if I remember correctly. Probably should have the chamber checked by a smith to make sure if you plan on firing it.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most common Mauser with the 1908 designation is the Brazilian, made originially in 7mm Mauser Caliber. Which was the official military cartridge of Brazil.
    If it's been Bubbaized, God only knows what caliber it's been chambered for?
    Do yourself a favor, take it to a competent gunsmith, let him inspect it for safety and do a chamber cast/headspace etc.
    For your peace of mind at least you'll know it safe when you shoot it..
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Impossible to tell from the information given.

Many different rifles in many different calibers have been built on Mauser actions....both military and commercial, by many different manufacturers.

The manufacturer of this rifle, DWM, is most noted for it's production of the Parabellum 08 (Lugar) pistol and for it's manufacture of munitions, but they also built many Mauser 98 rifles, and many other Mauser-action rifles for other governments.

Are there any other markings on the rifle....like, for instance, a crest of some sort?

I believe the DWM made the Model 904/39 Portuguese Vergurio rifle in 8x57JS Mauser. It would be marked with the crest of King Carlos.

They also made the 7mm Chilean Mauser....that would have a Chilean crest on it.

This could be a sporter built from a surplus military rifle, or it might have been a commercial DWM built between WWI and WWII (if they did such a thing).

The caliber might be 8x57, but I'd take it to a gunsmith to be sure. He'll probably mic the bore and make a chamber cast to be sure.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,243 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If there is a crest on the top of the receiver that would help id it. Describe the crest, if any, in detail.