In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need Info on Belgian Pistol type pocket revolver

lephuslephus Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
Hello I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to tell who this pistol was made by Browning or another company it is in the Illustrated Encyclopedia of Handguns on page 153 picture number 1131 ... But mine has one more srew above the srew that is above the grips heres a link to a photo but not sure if the link will work http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/lephus/lst?.dir=/Gun+Pics&.view=t Thanks

Lephus@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Confident it's not a Browning.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Looks kinda like a Pieper or Armenius with a hammer shroud. I'll take a look in the catalog at home.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Absolutly Not a Browning...But It reminds me of a DIMANCEA Pistol, designed by Major Haralamb Dimancea, Romanian Artillery..He Patented (Br. Pat 9973/1885) a revolver that looks alot like yours...If you can ascertain just what you have...Please Post it so I can inter it in my Database.......also could you discribe the Proof Marks........

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    lephuslephus Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    proof marks on it are one looks like a lizard standing up with arms out front with a line under it and the letters P.V under the line nexted proof mark is a crown with the letter R under it next mark is a star with the letter K under it and the last mark is a crown with a oval with the letters E L G with the E on top of the L G and a star under them in it it also has the number 27 on the cylinder and barrel

Thanks for all the Info on this so far to all that has replied Thanks
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got this link from Bob Adams web-site he is a dealer in New Mexico. He has it listed as a unknown Belgian Revolver.
    It is similar to yours, they were made in quanity over there between the late 19th century and the start of the First World War.
    The same hammerless style was made in various sizes and chamberings from the 5.5 mm Velo Dog on up.
    Many aren't marked other then the Belgian proofs.
    Generally they have no great value.

http://www.adamsguns.com/802.jpg
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    LION over PV...Simi Smokeless PROOF on Cylinder and Barrels that have been proofed at 50% excess pressure....
    CROWN over R.....Applied to Rifled Barrels after Simi-Smokeless Proof At 50% excess pressure....
    STAR over letter K...Belguim Inspectors Mark
    Oval with E over LG and Star at the Base of the letters is the Belguim Black Powder Proof since 1810......

Quite an interesting Piece You have......

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    road lizardroad lizard Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can get a copy of the Gun Collectors Digest 5th Edition you will find a nice long article about these handguns. They were made in Belgium. Most were made by the Fabriques d'Armes Unies de Liege ( F.A.U.L.), the United Arms Factories selling under the world-wide brand name, Centaure. This gun was probably advertised as a "Modele Puppie". The company name, United Arms Factories, refers to the large group of small arms makers whose revolvers were sold by Centaure. That is the reason for small variations in revolvers that look alike. They were handmade in small lots by different makers. You can also see a difference in revolvers made by the same maker. I have seen a lot of these Belgium made revolvers and owned a lot of them. There might be more variations than you can ever see in your lifetime. As for the numbers on the gun, I have never seen one that was higher than 30. Most of the ones that I have seen seem to be in the teens or twentys. Numbers should all match on the gun. My personal opinion is that they are assembly no's. If a maker was making twenty to thirty guns at the same time, he would number them so as to keep the parts together and not get them mixed up. Very important since the parts are hand fitted and usually will not interchange without hand fitting, and even then parts might not interchange from one revolver to the next. Could probably write on, but I don't want to get to carried away. Gun is collectible to certain people and they seem to be interesting to research. Have Fun.

Kenneth G. Morgan