In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any High Power shooters out there.

rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I was curious if any AR-15 shooters in the Service Rifle class would tell me what kind of scores their shooting across the course. I would just like to set myself a reasonable goal.

Comments

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure how many people on these forums would consider a stock AR-15 a high-power... [;)]

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AMEN Bambi, how are these pop guns at 1,000 yds? The Al Quada set there at that range with their .303s and laugh.

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • Options
    rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there anybody else that thinks the AR-15 is more than just a toy!?
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rordog, don't take offense... We're NOT saying these are toys at all, our soldiers depend on thier M16's for their lives, I just doubt many would classify them as high-powers when you relate them to all the magnum hunting calibers out there - that's all.

You'll learn to like our ribbin' (or maybe not) [;)]

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rordog, dont take umbridge to our jokes! I know what you mean by HIGH POWER shooting. I was a NRA HIGH POWER Couch for a couple of years, and shoot Marine Corps Matches for years. Most people think of HIGH POWER shooting as what Bambi said, Magnums. A lot of shooters spend a lot of money on AR-15s to shoot competetion, and have fine results out to 5-600 yrds. The idea of these matches has been since 187- something to shoot our military guns to the best of our ability. That should continue forever! I've noticed the trend here lately is for short (read M-4) rifles, with bunches of bells and whistles and many many bullets. Nothing makes up for marksmenship, but all the wannabes think they can buy accrocy, and not learn how to shoot. Just my humble thoughts!

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Rordog, no one was busting your chops, it's just a wording thing. I was expecting to see a bunch of posts with a >.243 type rifle in question. I don't know how the scoring is set up on the SR class, but expect to see a 223 20" barreled AR turn in good accuracy out to 250-300 yds and then start drifting a bit. The 223 tends to get a bit of ballistic drift at distance. Compensate by leading your long shots a little to the left. What twist rate is your rifle? If you got the newer versions you can use the 62 grain rounds which should stay staight and stable further than the old 55 grainer. Some folk even use the 69 grain load too.
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say they are high power just fine. I have a 1/2 thick mild steel target 12 inches in diameter, that I use for my pistol, practice, at 30 yards. I shot it with the 30-30 soft point, and it just dented the target and flipped it twice. The 22-250 soft point just splatted, with little or no swing at all, guess it was going to fast. Same thing with the 220 swift, soft point. BUT>>>the 223 hollowpoint, softpoint and full metal case all made it through. Now if that isnt hi-power ..nothing is..The hollowpoint was a factory Winchester 45 grain, hollowpoint. My bushmaster just seemed to like these.
  • Options
    Mr GeeMr Gee Member Posts: 429 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rordog i thought the question you asked was, what scores people were gett'n on the service rifle course w/the AR [;)],not how far they shoot,an not how to load'm up , why don't you bring some of these [ole' farts] nice guys up to date[}:)] , tell'm about 80 grainers doing over 3000 fps, last i heard the AR- is .224 cal [some in 7.62X39 an some in 7.62Nato] anyone wannna stand down range see how far they go.[:o)]
    well i guess i'm in trouble again ,[:0]Just some of my humble thoughts![:I]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't shot my Colt Match Heavy Barrel in competition. Just like to go out to the range and shoot it at 200 yd. Aside for heat rising off the barrel in rapid shooting thru the scope it will definately do the job and stay in the bull ring. Would love to shoot it out to 500 yd. I use the 62 gr. and at 200 on a calm day I get no drift.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I've shot service rifle for many years and always used an M1A. I got looks from old timmers years back who were still convinced that you HAD to use an M1 Garand to be a REAL competitor. Times change and so do rifles. I've seen plenty of AR types out on the firing line and these folks seem to do just fine. I'll never switch from my M1A, but I'm pretty slow to accept anything new!

What I don't like about your post is how concerned you seem to be about other people scores. Forget about what the guy next to you is doing and worry about shooting your absolute best. Setting a "reasonable goal" is the same as setting a built in limit for yourself. If you simply decide that you'll be happy with a score of XXX then I can promise you that will be all you'll manage to do.

If everyone on the line with you is an expert, master, or a high master and you set your expectations based on the kinds of scores these guys are racking up you will walk away disgusted with yourself! Why be happy with only your "expected" performance any way? You just want to be satisifed with your personal best performance. I've shot both service and match rifles for many years and have never even approached the expert or master level, but one fine day 5 years ago I broke through the 84% barrier and earned a sharpshooter rating. I shot the best that I could do on that day and I've never even been close again since- but it was the best shooting day in my life!

Mark T. Christian