In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sig 228 vs. sig 229

19111911 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to buy one of these guns in 9mm.
what is the difference between the 2. and what is that cut out block bheind the barrel on the slide of the 228? and which one is better?
thank you for your help!

Comments

• Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 229 is supposed to be beefed up a bit so that it can be configured more readily for other calibers like 40. The 228 was a bit scarce for awhile and only being offered to LE. FWIW, either is only a bit smaller than the P226 which is truly a fantastic gun. If you really want a compact 9mm, you might hunt around for the single stack P225.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    The P229 was specifically designed to handle the .357 SIG round. So it can also handle the .40S&W with only the change of a barrel. The P229 is an excellent handgun, and is the most ergonomic weapon I have ever fired. The P229 has a 'blued' stainless slide, the P228 does not.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
  • Options
    NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    I haven't encountered in these postings many friends of the .9 mm, if given a choice. Is this an accurate job of reading between the lines? (I don't mean to distract from your good question, but there may be a chance to survey something other than 9's at a gunshow this weekend ...for carry.)
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Nick - Dang, a .9mm is a pretty small caliber for a pistol.[:o)]

FYI, nothing wrong with a 9mm it has just been surpassed recently by better high cap auto pistol rounds. The .45 has always been a great auto round.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's nothing wrong with 9mm if you shoot well. The real issue with caliber is the less than ideal circumstances one faces in combative situations. Picture for a moment you are facing someone with a gun trained on you. Aiming straight for center mass, your bullet will most likely need to pass through the perp's gun hand or arm on the way to his heart. It's a tough job and not that many 9mm rounds will make their way through these common obstructions and still penetrate adequately. It's not that easy for .357 SIG or .40 either. 45s usually don't have quite so much trouble with it.

Most shooters don't understand the simple logic that because .45 ACP is potentially more effective than a 9mm, that doesn't make 9mm ineffective. I'd never feel unsafe with a good 9mm alongside. And I say this as one who favors .45.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I love 9mm's, they are good SMG rounds.[:o)] 9mm is good, 40 is better, 45 is best, 50 just makes a mess and a lot more noise. Given that, I usually carry the 45. Just my .02 [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    19111911 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    wow, guys i don't even care for 9mm that much i just wanted one because of the cheap ammo. all i carry is .45 just wanted someone to let me know which one of these guns is better to add to my collection!