In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mac-90 Norinco 7.62x39

bar23bar23 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
Need some help........just traded for a Mac-90 Norinco 7.62x39 ..the guy I traded with said it was pre-ban????????? I really know little about rifles especically military.......I would like to find a manual and would like to know the history and why is it called a pre ban?????????// Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Refers to it being made/imported before the assault weapons ban of '94. Prebans usually carry a bit of a premium because they are exempt from a lot of the ban regulation BS. Did it have a bayo? I've seen a few pre-ban Norincos that had the folding bayo on the front, pretty rare rifles.
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Also, forgot to mention, you might check with Globaltrades.com for a manual. I seem to remember them having them.
  • Options
    Mall NinjaMall Ninja Member Posts: 89 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually there are 3 ban's to which the seller may have been referring to, the 5-??-89 Bush Excutive Order that banned many imports ~ AK's, HK's AUG's, SIG's ect. ~ then sellers came up with the thumbhole stock, welding a muzzel brake or or removing the threads of the barrel and removing the bayo lug and got around that one, the 9-13-94 Weapons Ban, which mainly affected domestic firearms and high capicity feeding devices, then the Clinton 97 Excutive Order which again affected imports, I don't remember all the details but shortly after that is when enough US made parts started becoming avaiable to use parts kits and US parts to come up with a weapon that resembled the original assault weapon ~ I believe the Norinco MAK-90s were imported between 89 and 94.

Hope this helps!

g14.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Appreciate all the information.......Thanks Joe aka:bar23
  • Options
    TED GARTED GAR Member Posts: 389 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the prebans had pistol grips, or underfolders.
    If it was an underfolder it was considerably more..
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A MAK90 by designation is specifically NOT a pre-ban. MAK90 stands for "M"odified "AK" (MAK) of 1990 (MAK 90). They started to come in after the ban of March 1989. It was that ban that dis-allowed all the semi-auto imports with pistol grips, bayonet lugs, folding stocks, etc. So the guy that told you that it is a pre-ban is mistaken. It would pre-date the 1994 ban yes. That ban affected domestically made weapons much the same way as the 1989 ban affected imports. If by pre-ban he meant that it can have a folding stock etc., etc.... he is wrong. The MAK90 model did not exist as of March 1989 and that was the last time the imports could have folding stocks. Currently with the addition of enough US parts they can again have a pistol grip, but not a folding stock, bayonet lug, or flash hider. By adding enough US parts to the Romanian AK's as an example, they can have one of the restricted features, ie. a pistol grip. The US parts technically make it qualify as a US made gun. The imports as of 1989 could not have any of the "Evil" features. The 1994 Crime Bill affected US made guns the same way, but they could have one of the features, but not two or more.

As for the 1997 executive order, that took out the loophole of bringing in the modified AK's with their thumbhole stocks from the remaining countries like Romania, Hungaria, Bulgaria and Egypt. There was a May of 1994 Executive Order that had stopped the Chinese ones. The September of 1994 Crime Bill actually had nothing to do with the Chinese Norinco MAK 90's.

The MAK 90's are in existance as a result of the March 1989 Assault Weapons Ban. They were halted from import as of May 1994. The September 1994 Crime Bill had nothing to do with their status. And the same is true of the October 1997 Executive Order affecting semi-auto thumbhole stock imports that accepted high capacity mags. So the final statement is that your MAK 90 is NOT a "PRE-BAN". It would have been imported between 1990 and 1994. They were generally found available on the market into 1996-1997. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I sure appreciate all your information.........Joe aka:bar23
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It must be a Pre-Ban if you can't buy them anymore.If it was bought before they were banned ,it's a Pre-Ban.

[:)][8D][:D]

ATF