In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.38 Super safe im mdl 1900 Colt??

mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I probably know what the answer is going to be, just want verification. Since the brass is the same, only different loading, does anyone have a few brass (either designation) they would part with so I can load to .38 Colt Auto specs? Thanks. Emery

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    38 Super is a hotter loading of the 38 ACP (not 380 ACP) designed to take advantage of the stregth of the 1911 and step up the ballistics considerably. The new cartridges were designated 38 Super to differentiate them from the milder 38 ACP cartridge. Your 1900 was designed for the 38 ACP cartridge and will get wrecked if you use the 38 Super loads in it. They often break the breach pin if I remember correctly. The brass is the same, however, and can be order from Starline or anybody else. Just load it to 38 ACP (not Super) specs.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Absolutely DO NOT shoot .38 Super in your 1900 Colt!

You've got a fine old lady...treat her well and use .38ACP.
  • Options
    fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no NO NO NO!!!
    load your own, or get someone to load you some at 38acp level.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold off all my .38 ACP last year. One thing you must be especially careful about is that both loadings used the same headstamp for an extended period; only the boxes distinguished them. If you encounter ammo which you are not absolutely certain is the less powerful loading, best to pass on it.
  • Options
    mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to you all for verifying my thoughts. If I encounter any ammo that I am not sure of, I will break it down and load to the 38 Colt Auto specs. Emery