In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What would a good choice be?

WashmoBillyWashmoBilly Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in Ask the Experts
I just bought a Winchester Model 70 in 300 ulta mag and I was wondering what the best type of scope would be to put on it. I am going to be useing it for hunting and definately shooting long distances. I like leupold, or zeiss, but I dont know what power or what model i should use.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How serious are you about long range? as far as power range, I personaly like at least 16x but would much prefer 22-32x. I would say that the best glass for the money, with the ability to be REPEATABLE when multiple firing solutions are dialed in, in one shooting session, is the Leupold long range. It has been upgraded even further for the 2003 line. It used to come with target style adjustment knobs, but now, it has been upgraded to use the MK IV sniper scope, M1 tactical adjustment knobs. These are one of the best, most accurate, and most repeatable adjustment knobs in the world. That is why MK IV's are used on a lot of the 50cal rifles, they don't lose zero or skip adjustments under the worst conditions ( 50BMG recoil, artillery landing close by, HALO jumps and insertion through submarine torpedo tubes). The LR scopes also come standard with a 30mm main tube, and side focus adjustment. The side focus eliminates the "fatter" bell on the front of the scope, like you see with the adjustable objective scopes. That allows you to mount it closer to the bore, and get a more comfortable "cheek weld" which will increase your shooting ability as well as to give a much quicker focus and fire, in the field.

You can order these scopes directly from Premeir Reticles, and they will even install one of 10 or so, custom reticles designed for any purpose you may have in mind, for not much more money.

Now, if those are unrealistic due to price range, then I will suggest the Burris Signature line. take a look at the 6-24x44 with the target knobs and Balistic mil-dot reticle. I have one in 4-16x and it has proven to be a very good piece of glass.

Quite a few guys I talk to who are some serious long range shooters, are talking very positively about the quality of the optics and the adjustments in the weaver Grand slam scopes as well. Their price is very agreeable and I wouldn't be afraid to try one out. I may even be doing that shortly.

But then, there is always the Nightforce NXS series[8D]

I'm a man,....but I can change,.....If I have to,......I guess.
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Wash and welcome to the forum,I'm fairly new here myself and you didn't say what type of hunting or shooting you'd be doing.I recently sighted a 300 Ulti mag in for a friend and he installed a 4.5-14 Nikon scope on it and made a very nice combination out of it.If you plan on regulation hunting,that magnification in my opinion would be sufficient.My .02 worth,Bob.
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    deadeye46, you just bore sighted it right? Your buddy knows you can't sight in for him doesn't he? And a 14X scope would be too powerful for the game you'd use this rifle on. That'd be fine for varmints but this calibre isn't meant for ground hogs.
    WashmoBilly, define "shooting long distances". And I'm assuming you're not speaking of taking hunting shots past 100 to 200 yards. Anything farther and your skill at distance judging must be absolutely expert. As well as you're wind judging and being able to hit a 9" pie plate every time. Oh and I'd like a Zeiss too, but I'm not prepared to spend the money they want.
  • Options
    pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy, and welcome. You would never go wrong with a leupold, whenever I can afford it, thats what I put on my huntin guns. You'll be hunting big game with this rifle, and a deer or elk rifle needs little more than a 2x7 or at most 3x9 scope for any range you care to shoot. You're talking about a 18" to 24" kill zone remember, not some dinky 8x3" gopher. Get the best quality scope you can afford, but don't go crazy with the power!

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI